Modes & volume levels between them and JJ6v6's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theDogger

Reaction score
I just got a Mesa Single Rectifier v2. I bought it off eBay and just came in yesterday. It is in great shape, plugged it in and started in the clean channel and started to go through the different modes. When I got to channel 2 and switching between RAW, VINTAGE and MODERN there was really a big difference is sound volume and tone is this normal? If I start in say MODERN mode and dial in a good tone and volume level all is good. But then if I switch to say RAW then tone get muddy and the volume level drops. So then again I have to adjust the tone and volume level to get it back to where it should be. I under stand that there is going to be some difference in tone but what about the drop in volume?

So after playing for awhile I let it cool down and check all the tubes again and they are not Mesa which is not a big deal. So I pulled all the tubes out to check out what is in. Here is what there was..

V1-No label I am assuming some sort of Chinese
V2-Tung Sol Labeled Fender
V3-Mesa 12AX7
V4-Electro
V5-Mesa 12AX7
2-Groove EL34

So I swapped them out (Thanks EuroTubes)
V1-JJ 12AX7 HighGain
V2-JJ 12AX7 HighGain
V3-JJ 12AX7 HighGain
V4-JJ 12AX7 Balanced
V5-JJ 12AX7 Normal
2-JJ 6V6 (EL34 Mode) I also have 2-New JJ6L6's that I am going to try also.

There was a good change in tone and gain......I am hoping for even more as the tube settle in.....But the issue still persists with the Muddiness and Volume drop when going between modes..

So is this normal?

theDogger

theDogger said:
I just got a Mesa Single Rectifier v2. I bought it off eBay and just came in yesterday. It is in great shape, plugged it in and started in the clean channel and started to go through the different modes. When I got to channel 2 and switching between RAW, VINTAGE and MODERN there was really a big difference is sound volume and tone is this normal? If I start in say MODERN mode and dial in a good tone and volume level all is good. But then if I switch to say RAW then tone get muddy and the volume level drops. So then again I have to adjust the tone and volume level to get it back to where it should be. I under stand that there is going to be some difference in tone but what about the drop in volume?

This is normal. Modern mode removes negative feedback from the power section which makes it really sensitive and very loud. Raw and vintage shouldn't have a HUGE difference in volume, but there's a noticable change. The voicings on each channel are pretty different, so yes, you'll have to re-EQ them every time you switch modes.

Ok makes sense....All I can say is that I am really liking the new amp. One more question. My cab is a 4x12 that I made. You can see it here.http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1078649

I can connect the amp a 16 ohm all speakers or 2-8 ohm's What would be better the 1-16 Ohm to the 8 Ohm or thew 2-8 Ohms to the 2-4 Ohm on the amp? Or I can re-wire the 4x12's into straight 4 Ohms?

thanks

theDogger

I would connect the sets of two speakers in parallel to get a four ohm load.. I don't know about the speaker outputs on a single rec, but I think there's one 16 ohm output. If there isn't, plug the 8 ohm out into the 16 ohm cab. Also, do the 6V6s change the actual output impedance? This may be something you need to consider.

Ya I am running the single 16 Ohm into the 8Ohm on the head now. So you are saying to re-wire the 4 16 Ohm speakers down to 4 Ohms and run it that way then.

The speaker outputs on the Single Rec. are...4 Ohm - 4 Ohm - 8 Ohm

I do not believe that the 6V6's alter the actual output impedance with the lower voltage. It is not like pulling 2 tubes and having to half the actual output impedance.

theDogger

theDogger said:
Ya I am running the single 16 Ohm into the 8Ohm on the head now. So you are saying to re-wire the 4 16 Ohm speakers down to 4 Ohms and run it that way then.

The speaker outputs on the Single Rec. are...4 Ohm - 4 Ohm - 8 Ohm

I do not believe that the 6V6's alter the actual output impedance with the lower voltage. It is not like pulling 2 tubes and having to half the actual output impedance.

theDogger

Alright then yeah I would do that.

Latest posts

Back