Modding an F-50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Courtney

Reaction score
I am wondering if it is possible to mod an F-50 to make it have a solo boost, and a button to activate/de-activate the effects loop. I am really wanting to use the amp for my live rig, but I am unable to for those reasons. If any of you have some information on what I could do that would be awesome. Thank you!

Jeff Courtney

Hi Jeff,

I adore my live rig with my F-50 - I use it with a G-Major thus:

hal9000Andy_sRigFinalSmallRevC.png

I have the loop at maximum Mix, and I have the G-Major switched IN all the time - however I could switch the G-Major into Bypass mode if needed.

I use the Preset Boost feature of the G-Major to get a Solo boost whenever I wish. I have the G-Major automatically switching to the desired amp channel too (Rhythm, Lead and Contour), so I can get a solo boost for any of my combined amp channel and FX patches.

I highly recommend such a set up. There's a lot more detail about my set up over in the HCAF G-Major MIDI Tips thread. Furthermore, you can see me using that Solo boost feature in the video clips in my P&W Gig thread. :)

Other approaches you might consider include, building a footswitchable attenuator box for the FX loop. Stomping on the footswitch would go between No Attenuation (i.e. Solo boosted) to Attenuated (i.e. normal volume). There's more on such projects over on HCAF in the F-series Lounge - hal9000 has built such a box.

Another approach you might consider is to get a Looper (MIDI controlled perhaps) to enable/disable any effects that you have in the FX loop. Check out products like the GRX4 from http://www.axess-electronics.com/

Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions. 8)

Big smiles,

Andy.

andy thanks for your advice, I have seen pictures of your rig and every7thing, and I do like your setup. However, I am not interested in going midi at this time. I will look into it more though, I think Im gonna call up the guys at MB and see if they will do this for me. Thanks again for your consideration and time!

Jeff Courtney

Jeff Courtney said:
andy thanks for your advice, I have seen pictures of your rig and every7thing, and I do like your setup. However, I am not interested in going midi at this time. I will look into it more though, I think Im gonna call up the guys at MB and see if they will do this for me. Thanks again for your consideration and time!

Jeff Courtney

Good luck with your quest, Jeff,

I can understand the reluctance to get into MIDI, but rest assured it's not very difficult. :p Nevertheless, there are approaches that don't require MIDI.

To get a solo boost, you could run a Boss LS-2 in the loop, and use the two level controls to set the normal and solo levels.

To get a switchable loop, you could run a second Boss LS-2 in your F-50 loop, putting the FX you wish to bypass in one of the LS-2's loops, and footswitching to bypass mode when not wanted. Other analogue loop devices include the Nobel's Alex-1 Looper - but this device requires an external footswitch. With both of these approaches, you may wish to convert you F-50's loop from serial to parallel (details from Mesa or over at the F-series Lounge), to get the maximum effect. :)

Big smiles,

Andy.

Jeff Courtney said:
I am wondering if it is possible to mod an F-50 to make it have a solo boost, and a button to activate/de-activate the effects loop. I am really wanting to use the amp for my live rig, but I am unable to for those reasons. If any of you have some information on what I could do that would be awesome. Thank you!

Jeff Courtney
Jeff, Andy's already given you some great ideas, but to be clear, how do you want to run your rig such that you need solo boost and a switchable FX loop?

A volume pedal in the loop can serve as a solo boost as well. Since the loop is parallel, you can define the lowest volume simply by setting the mix level pot (perhaps 60% mix). Then, raising the volume pedal from heel-down to toe-down will be your solo boost level. The difference between rhythm and solo volume is solely based on the mix knob's position.

I've built my own remotely footswitchable solo boost, used an EQ in the loop, and currently I'm using a G-Major. As Andy already said, the G-Major adds tremendous functionality to any rig, but for the F-series, you can take the 2-channel 3-mode format and make it 3-channels simply by equalizing the levels of Contour and OD. Then, you get solo boosts, FX, EQ and so on per patch.

Here's my rig:
hal9000GigRig3_7_06RevC.jpg

CudBucket said:
How do you guys make those cool diagrams of your rigs?
Thanks for the compliment on my work. I guess you recognized the similarities between Andy's and mine? :)

I draw them from scratch as part of my graphic design business. If you need a quote for any custom graphic design work like CD art, gear renderings, band logos, etc., check out my site (still under construction) www.64graphics.com

Here are a few more examples using Mesa Gear:

hal9000RandomHeroRigChromeRecto.jpg

hal9000MarkIVProtoCreamTan.jpg

hal9000TommisRigRevD.png

yeah, i asked a similar question in another post Hal, those things are awesome!!!

What program do you use if you don't mind me asking? Thanks bud

-AJH

MesaENGR412 said:
yeah, i asked a similar question in another post Hal, those things are awesome!!!

What program do you use if you don't mind me asking? Thanks bud

-AJH
Thanks AJH. :)

For the renderings you see here I used MS PowerPoint. I would recommend Adobe Illustrator, for really heavy-duty work like this though. PP can be quite limiting and your time is better spent learning a superior program.

I use Illustrator for all of my logos, CD art and the like.

Coeur de Blues said:
Go there :

http://s12.photobucket.com/albums/a215/petary791gear/Guitar%20Geek%20Icons/

I believe all of the Guitar Geek stuff is Copyrighted, and the owner WILL come down hard on anyone using his diagrams without permission.

hal9000's work is copyrighted too of course, but I much prefer his photo-realistic approach - looks much better imho. hal9000 rocks!

Big smiles,

Andy.

If it's copyrighted, then who put it on photobucket? I would agree that Hal's look better though...more realistic

-AJH

MesaENGR412 said:
If it's copyrighted, then who put it on photobucket? I would agree that Hal's look better though...more realistic

-AJH
Copyright means that the original author has fixed their work in a tangible medium (a hard drive applies) and retains the rights to duplication, derivative works, distribution, publishing, etc. There is nothing to stop someone from stealing the images for their use (e.g. uploading them to photobucket), but they are still infringing on Guitar Geek's copyright.

Thanks for the compliment on my work.

Latest posts

Back