Modding a Mark III Red-Stripe to a Mark IIC+????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xT00BZRG00Dx

Reaction score
Can this be done???? If so, how much will it cost, how will it effect my tone, what features it will add, and where to find a place to do it????

well you can send it to mike b and he can take your money and make the pre amp like a c+, but you still have a mark III. you still have mark III transformers, power section, fx loop, circuit board, and other cork sniffery things.

i wouldn't bother.

dude, just enjoy your mark III.

JimAnsell said:
well you can send it to mike b and he can take your money

actually he probably won't, he'll tell you not to bother. seriously.

If you can't get a good lead tone out of a III you should probably go acoustic for a while.

My bluestripe has the c+ mod. It doesn't have nearly as much gain/crunch as my mark4. according to what most III owners say, it should have more. I wish I knew what it sounded like pre-mod...

I had a MKIII blue stripe with the + mod done by Mike B, and I honestly didn't think it sounded any better than a stock blue stripe.

scottcrud said:
I had a MKIII blue stripe with the + mod done by Mike B, and I honestly didn't think it sounded any better than a stock blue stripe.
did it have a lot less gain after the mod?

No, mine had just as much as a normal MKIII, just maybe a little smoother. I played it side by side with my other guitarist MKIII blue stripe and they sounded almost identical. I played it side by side with a buddy of mines 60 watt MKIIC+ and his C+ blew my MKIII away.

Well...in my opinion, if you want the IIC+ tone you must buy it...don't modify anything because you may spend extra money without a real benefit in the overall sound of your III... 8)

There is enough variation in sound between IIC+s (drifting parts, different transformers, wattage variations etc.etc.), that I think some modded III's may sound closer to a certain IIC+ than another IIC+ may...

Im thinking of having my early III modded based on this line of thinking...

Latest posts

Back