Modding a 2:90

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vette1992

Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone could tell me if it would be possible to change the 2:90 from a 6L6 amp to an EL34 amp, i know this is a dumb question, just wondering if it would be possible and what changes that would need to be made to accept the new tubes...

Just kinda prefer EL34's these days, and considering the resale value of the 2:90s is kinda lame, rather than selling mine i considered maybe changing it up a bit...

The 290 is the same as the Mark IV so you can run EL34's in the class A sockets. If you have the older 290 with the blue light upfront then the 4 outer sockets are all class A.

Greg

Yes, i am well aware of this, but i have never tried it...

Does this make a signifigant difference in tone or no...

As my question states though, i am wondering what kind of modifications would need to be done, or if it is even possible to run all 8 sockets with EL34's???

Just a question.

You might have to change the screen resistors and will probably need to rebias. Is it worth it? Probably not, but if you have the money then it won't matter.

Greg

Hmmmm.... May have to think long and hard on this one, but thanks for the help...

Sell your 2:90 on ebay, and buy a 2:100 on ebay to replace it. The swap between 6L6s and EL34s is painless with the 2:100. It's a different sounding amp. It has more bottom and it can be more aggressive when dialed in.

Latest posts

Back