Modded Mark IV?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ibanez4life SZ!

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Kinda browsing another forum, I saw a comment that seemed a bit odd to me...

"Mark IVs are great when modded"

Are there any mods you guys know of to a Mark IV that is a significant improvement? I'm very happy with the amp, and think the guy that posted that was just blowing hot air, but curiosity struck, and I wanted to see if anyone at the BB had something to say :lol:

Thanks, and a happy new year to all you guys!

I've heard talk of a 'metallica mod' before but never cared much to investigate it.

in the words of Boogiebabies a couple of year back when I asked about mods for the C+..."you can mod anything."

The metallica mod is a C+ mod to enhance power tube saturation. I'm sure there are mods for the 4, but nobody has publicly talked about them, or few have looked into modding it.

I mean, what is the Metallica mod. You can boost the gain to insane levels with a few mods, revoice the grahic EQ to scoop more mids and even with a good hot bias, I dont hear the necessity. I did a switchable two stage gain mods and a mid scoop mod for the C+ and it adds an element of a two mild gain boosts with out a pedal. The mid scoop sucks them down to about 500HZ, so bottomed out it's really scooped.

For the MK IV, I could see changing the mid gain to a pull deep and possibly add the mid scoop switch. I really think the IV is pretty much as perfect as can be. The only mod I would really consider adding is a depth or resonance mod and boosting the R2. We'll see, but I have the opportunity to mod it 365 days a year and there it sits, bone stock.

If there were mods, then it should be adding gain to R2, and separate bass and mid control for R1/R2. BB said that mid-gain switch is THE added gain switch, but too bad it's not channel assignable. I only need it for R2.

~trem

To sum it up, there are idiots all over the internet. The guy who posted that comment has probably never played a Mark IV in his life. Just ignore it. It would be a waste to mod such a perfect amp.

Easy and reversible mods are swapping out different preamp tubes. Try 5751 in different spots, try different 12ax7 tubes in different places. It will change the amount of gain and the way the distortion reacts. You will probably find something you like, even if it's what you've got now. But if that's the case you might end up understand your amp and how the channels react with each other better.

Trying the different options in power tubes offers varying results also.

That's probably not what the original poster was talking about but it something and it's as far as I'm going with my Mark IV.

i heard if you keep your mark 4 in its head cabinet, but without the chassis screws in, it sounds way better.

thats what i do, so its gotta be right.

:wink:

Latest posts

Back