Mod kits - Revisited......

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
OK, so life has become fairly normal again and it is time for me to start putting the mod kits together.

Here is what I remember from the previous discussion:

DC's:
Better Cleans
Better Reverb
More Gain on lead channel
Bias Pot (except DC-2 & 3)
5 way Mid Boost for lead channel

Heartbreaker:
Better Cleans
Better Reverb
JCM-800 Mod for Lust Channel
JTM Mod for Lust Channel
Bias Pot
5 way Mid Boost for Lust Channel

Mark III:
Adjustable Negative Feedback (slightly more complicated to explain for this amp only) (Maybe footswitchable)
R2 Volume Mod
Bias Pot for Class AB tubes on Simul or all tubes for non-Simul amps

Stiletto:
Ice-Pick removal for Lead channel

??????

I would be very interested in the Mark III mods.

I also have some interest it what you might be able to answer for me in regards to a perceived issuse I'm having with my amp. I can send you a PM if that would be more appropriate.

:D Please do!!!!! I'm offering a 35% discount for amp mods for the next month if the owner will agree to let me take pictures and document the processes so that I can provide really good kits. Years ago I bought a bunch of mod kits from Torres and they all worked, but the instructions sucked ***!

I also want to video before and after for each amp and put them up on our site or youtube so that people can get a good idea of what they do. It is really hard for me to describe some of them in a way that gets the point across without boring the hell out of people!

:mrgreen: Plus I need the money so I can start advertising on the forum again! :mrgreen:

I had the R2 mod done on my mark III. What is the neg. feedback mod about and what does it resolve?

monsta, any idea what mods? I'd gladly send you my .50cal+ but I may just want new ldr's and caps... not to exciting.

Mark III:
The Presence knob on the III is an adjustable Negative Feedback control.
I add a real Presence knob and can make the old Presence footswitchable. Which a lot of guys find useful as a Solo boost.

Basically, a portion of the signal is sent back into the preamp from the speaker jacks. This is done to provide more stability and create as much headroom as possible for the clean channel.
The III is not as stable as some of the other amp circuits that Mesa has created. It will go into oscillation and feedback like crazy if it is totally removed. I basically make it so that the least amount possible is in the circuit when the footswitch is off and the knob setting determines the exact amount. When the footswitch is on, the pot is bypassed and the standard amount of NFB is in the circuit so that you have the most headroom and a darker tone for the lead channel.

If you adjust your Presence knob you will notice that it really can add some icepick tones if you turn it up too loud. But, it can add a lot of sizzle to a lead tone if it is set right.
Basically when the knob is all the way down, this is the on setting. When the knob is turned up this is the off setting for the footswitch. It has to be this way, instead of the other way around for the footswitch because of the way the switching power supply is in the III. It was one of the 1st channel switching amps and although it is a really great amp, the switching circuits are fairly primitive compared to some of the crazy stuff that Mesa does now.

Mark IV:
I will take a look at my notes and drawings, I can't remember off hand what mods I have so far for the Mark IV.

Scott, I can do 35% off of the basic Tune-Up, which would bring it to $97.50. The LDR's would run another $50.

Probably the 1st few jobs I would just have you guys paypal the money to Ned so that I can start advertising on the forum again. It's only fair to him and I could use the publicity too! :D The rest would go into the "Get Andy a Mark V Fund!"

Back