Mmm STR 415

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tony777

Reaction score
So I finally got my hands of two pairs of these tubes.

Sounding great as everybody says, delicious meaty midrange, tight bottom and balanced crisp high end.
Just as the description of my IIC+ 's

I guess this is news everybody needs to know :D

Philips/Sylvania 6L6GC/7581A are still out there. Not cheap, and getting even less so, but not hen's teeth yet.

So all I have to do is order a set of Philips/Sylavania 6l6GC's and it would be the same as STR415's?

boogietone said:
So all I have to do is order a set of Philips/Sylavania 6l6GC's and it would be the same as STR415's?
Yes... but when ordering them you must prove you have the ability to play the opening chords to "Smoke On the Water".

... well at least two first chords, if not, then ability to play the whole opening at least single string on the low E-string. :lol:

RR said:
Yes... but you must prove you have the ability to play the opening chords to "Smoke On the Water".

... well at least two first chords, if not, then ability to play the whole opening at least single string on the low E-string. :lol:

Hey!
I can do that :lol:

Wow, I didn't know that! I have 6 of those Sylvania 6L6 GC STR tubes. I didn't know they were the 415s. They cost me like 180 or so a pair when I bought them, and I can't get them anymore.

Now I just need a IIC+...

"STR" was an acronym that meant the particular tube was the product of a special request...I've heard that it meant "Special Tube Request", but I think "Special Technical Requirement" was probably more accurate.

The original "STR" as applied to guitar amp tubes was the Sylvania STR 387, which was a 6L6GC designed to handle the very high voltages in the '70s Fender amps (550V+), and be highly reliable when used in combos, upside-down.

By 1980 or so, though, companies weren't making bunches of different versions of the same tube. The 6L6GC, 7581A, and 7027A were all basically the same tube with some ratings difference and (in the case of the 7027) different pinout. It was cheaper to make one set of guts that met the highest requirements, then label it accordingly for the various packages. So, any Philips/Sylvania 6L6GC or 7581A made from the late '70s on is identical, and they're the same tubes that the Mark series and associated products (295, 395) would have shipped with.

Just be aware that the STR-387 may not bias correctly in your amp. They are going to vary all over the map. I have found the same thing with STR-415's but have found greater variation with the non-Mesa branded versions.

If you have a Bias-Rite you may find that they run very cold or very hot (or just fine). Something to consider if you are planning on spending a bunch of money on a pair.

For me this is the big downside Mesa's non-adjustable bias. I keep toying with the idea of having a bias pot installed to make it easier to use NOS tubes.

The last new quad of Mesa labeled 415's had a -20ma current draw in the 6l6 position and still sounded incredible. I have them in a Swiss Bank lockbox woith a laser eye scan security system. :D

I got a pair of rottweilers guarding mine :D

boogietone said:

Make sure you are looking at STR 415 and not STR416's, which are 6CA7/EL34's not 6Ll's. I have a pair. It came out of a near mint and fully equipped, MKIII, red stripe, Simul Class that I sold in a moment of weakness. The guy offered me $900.00 when I had it up at $1,000.00. I gave him his price but kept the good tubes that Mike Bendinelli checked out as like new.

Latest posts

Back