MKIV the Best

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miqueas92

Reaction score
From time to time I just have to express what a great amp this thing is.

Last night at worship practice I pushed R2s gain knob in (usually pulled) and what a great tone!

My MM Axis Super Sport never sounded better. Tone was great.

I had been really gassing for a Lonestar and had considered selling the IV to cover the LSC. Not anymore. I know that the LS clean is great but... I have about 15 amp´s with my MKIV.

Mick

I'm with ya, Mick. Having installed some VOS preamp tubes (Tung-Sol), a pair of 5881s in the outer sockets and STR420s in the inner sockets, I'm amazed at the incredible range of sweet tones this thing produces. The tube swap removed any boxiness the amp had, and brings it closer to the organic sounds and feel produced by my Mark IIs. It's no wonder the prices of the IVs have remained relatively stable even after the introduction of the V.

Agreed! Although my "tone discover" was more of a cab change. I just finished building a 2x12 cab out of birch plywood and the mark iv sounds so much better than through my crappy crate 4x12. All these days, I was never getting a good tight fat tone with a classic V shaped GEQ. Through the new cab, the GEQ V shape has a new meaning. :mrgreen:

So many tones... one box!!!!!!!!!

Mark IV !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mick

I love my Mark IV, even with R2. :lol:

For what I play, I find the amp incredibly easy to dial in, and with the GEQ, it is almost impossible to be disappointed by it's range. I have a Recto that far outshines the Mark in regards to depth/bass, but for a go-to amp, the Mark IV is by far my favorite. Is it wrong to want another one?

So, I've always been wondering if the Mark IV can do tones of a Bogner Uberschall. After shelling out $1600, I am convinced it can very easily do it! :lol: For exact tones, I have it in the class A (E34L's in outer sockets) position and its a straight match. The bogner does sound more fat and fluidy. It could be because its running on 4 el34's and the iv is on only 2 tubes; obvioiulsy at a diminished wattage.

But last night, I flipped to the pentode! And what a difference! I think the Boogie sounds much better than the bogner. And the bogner that too has el-34's =C=. I am running in tweed! If I switch to full power, I'm pretty sure it will sound (if not already) better than the Uberschall.

Also, removing all the knobs of the uberschall, I noticed they use plastic knob shafts. Yuck! :shock:

My bassist and I were reworking a song last night and recorded the different parts on my iPhone. This amp never ceases to amaze me. It's not just about the gain- the **** tone of the distortion is utterly beautiful. I love how tight and chunky the lead channel can get, while still remaining fluid. I love the crunch channel's tone and gain structure. The clean is perfect. The amp is utterly amazing in every way. Haha I can't beleive how well this amp recorded on my **** iPhone.

Cool..thats a pretty gainy amp for a worship team. :p ...Ive got 19 years on a w. team now..ive used the v-twin occasionally,a studio 22, but never my IV..Maybe ill give it a try...I too go thru the push or pull the r.2 vol knob routine....Currently for the team, im using my bogner shiva and badcat black cat in stereo...but I would love to have a 2nd master vol on my mk IV..........

Gain can be turned down (or up :shock: ).

That was my point for the post. There are so many options that its just amazing!!

I use R2 most as far as worship team goes, though Lead works as well.

My Ernie Ball Axis Super Sport really helps also.

Mick

Do you run your IV into a cab or into an isolation chamber or other?....I was using 4 boogie recto cabs, which are great, then I sold them, bought 4 traditionals, and my tone improved a little and it got tighter....I liked that for a long time w/ my mkIII and IV, then we did a cab shootout and the diezels just rose to the top in terms of everything....But, yes, my mkIVB is still kicking and i always come back to it, even when there is a new "boutique" amp that hits the market......You use ernie ball/ axis guitars?...humbuckers?...That should hit the mkIV preamp pretty good..I bet that sounds good.I run a custom shop tele g-bender w/ Lindy Fralins into my IV...Im digging it a lot....

Nope, just have a 57 mic placed right at the edge of the speaker on my combo, then to the board.

Your using 4 4x12´2 for worship¿¿¿¿ jajajajajaj

I use the EB Axis Super Sport. HB´s with coil tap basically, so 5 different combos on the pup´s. I only use the EQ as a boost.

Mick

Back