MKIV Speaker change

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ursinus

Reaction score
Well, I exchanged the ev that was in one of my theiles for the C90 that was in my combo. Now both my Thieles are C90's and I am loving the EV tone out of my combo. Last night I did some test recordings and the ev is awesome. My home studio is complete now! I can finally start recording and posting. Anyone else prefer the EV?

I dig the EV in the Thiele. I also like the EV in the combo though.

Has anyone put in one of the new EVM12L "black label" speakers in their MKIV widebody combo's? Was wondering if it wound sounded better then the C90 that is currently in there now.

I don't think the EVM 12L will fit in a wide-body Mk iv - it will certainly sound better, though. C90's sound good in a bedroom but you can't hear them on stage.

treelifeUK said:
I don't think the EVM 12L will fit in a wide-body Mk iv - it will certainly sound better, though. C90's sound good in a bedroom but you can't hear them on stage.

Looks like there is room in there? I would hate to pay $250 for a speaker and NOT have it fit!

Why wouldn't the EV fit in the widebody? I have it in a short combo.

I think that the Celestion is rear mounted and the EV front mounted (or the other way round). I have a widebody Mk 4 and was assured that the EVM 12L wouldn't fit. More attaching screws, etc. I believed them and bought a 1x12 Mesa cab with EV and now usually end up use both at gigs (2 into the 2, 4ohm jacks) If it's a small gig I use both, if it's large, just the EV into the 8 ohms jack. I'd definitely check this out before removing the C90.

My EV is front mounted. I would assume that is the way it is supposed to be in there. Also make sure to use 8 mounting screws because the speaker is heavy.

treelifeUK said:

It will, but you will have to remove the reverb tank (i don't use it anyway), and you may have to move your fan.

When I did mine, I took all the tubes out, removed the back panel, had to replace the mounting screws with #8 x 1 1/4" to accomodate the frame of the speaker. The reverb tank came out, my fan barely fit, so I didn't have to move it.

Back