MkIV plus SD-1 yes or no?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilrob1979

Reaction score
Would the SD-1 be a good choice for a clean boost into the MkIV for say solos with the EQ off? I dig the hell out of the lead channel with the EQ on for say whacky metal riffing but I like to kick it off for solos to get more of my mids back. Would an SD-1 do the trick to get my levels back where they need to be? I can get a minty one for $25.

I had an SD-1 and it was very noisy, I took it back for another one and same problem, so I dug out my trusty old DS-1 and it worked perfectly without noise. I could of just had bad luck, but you never know. I also have a bad monkey that works beautifully as a clean boost.

I'd rather use something like a Maxon OD808 or BB Preamp, the SD-1 is pretty noisy.

I have a Maxon OD808 you can buy from me actually, for £70. Seems to be a very popular boost around some parts.

Thanks but once I paid shipping from the UK that 70 pounds would be greater than what I'd pay for one new.

Having a gain boost IN the guitar might get you what you need. One vol knob, one gain knob. Works great!

True, I could get an EMG afterburner or PA2 and use it in one of the unused toggle switch positions on my DC127. That's good thinking and pretty much guaranteed not to color the sound too much like a pedal might.

I just got my DC127 with EMGs back together after replacing the brass rollers on my Kahler with stainless steel so I hadn't played it through the Boogie yet. Wow! An Afterburner would be awesome. Is that the same sized hole as a tone knob? The PA2 is a mini-toggle and I have 2 mini-toggles that aren't used but unfortunately they are only adjustable via an internal trim pot.

devilrob1979 said:
I just got my DC127 with EMGs back together after replacing the brass rollers on my Kahler with stainless steel so I hadn't played it through the Boogie yet. Wow! Those EMGs in the lead channel with EQ on are just killer. They kinda sucked in my Legacy compared to the Duncan '59s in my Hamer but in this application they just rule. An Afterburner would be awesome. Is that the same sized hole as a tone knob? The PA2 is a mini-toggle and I have 2 mini-toggles that aren't used but unfortunately they are only adjustable via an internal trim pot.

if you want to jucie things up abit.. the Sd-1 is great.. set volume full gain nothing and tone half way.. that won't be to nosiey.. and it will do nice things at louder volumes.. i also have a ts-9 and thats great all pointing straight up at low volumes but higher and you start to get mad feedback..modding Sd-1 are good ideas to.. true bypass and better clipping diode's/transistors.. make a huge differences..

Well I got my SD-1 now I'm just waiting on my caps, resistors, switch, led, socket, chips, etc to get here to bring it to Keely specs.

Latest posts

Back