MKIII user, what should i use for this....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

al3d

Reaction score
While i'm new to using the MKIII combo 60w, i think it will need a little help to go where i need it to go. When i get a very deep distortion, i think the amp does'nt like my E sting cause when doing a deep rythme, it sounds awfull. Oh, and i play mostly metal these days, Maiden, ozzy, metallica...that easy listening stuff..:)

Maybe my settings are'nt "right" for now, i mean combination on that thing are just mind blowing realy. But at this stage i was thinking of adding maybe an overdrive or something similar.

Anyone got any tips?...any help is always appriciated.

Generally,when playing at louder levels the bass knob should be kept lower,2-4 at most.If this doesnt solve the bass bombing out,it could be time for new filter caps.

I second the notion of lowering the bass knob to the 2-3 area, also raising the treble to 6-8, and having a tech check the caps if the amp is 10-15 years old. What kind of pickups are you using? I like passives and boosts with my marshall type amps, like the DiMarzio SD or Duncan JB, and actives with marks, EMG81. The actives give me more of that grind with marks. But I want to check out the x2n versions 1 & 2, and MOST DEFINATELY the new METAL blackouts ahb2s that are coming out, with a higher peak resonance freq (1k like livewires) and two switchable output levels.

Thanks guys...i use a strat with hot rails on it and a LP with it's own original pup. thing is at 2 to 4 on the bass level, is just sounds..well...weird..no "feel" to it, i mean metal is all about sounding deep.

What kind of speaker is in the combo? I have an EV in my combo and it sounds huge by itself, but when I need bigger I run it through my 2x12 vert hb with 2 EV's. BTW here's the settings I use on my Mark III Red Stripe

front.jpg

mine as the Celestion in it.

i'll try those settings..:)

ok, those setting gives me more of an AC-DC sound I would say, but still getting the weird sound on the e-string.

I forgot to mention that I run a BB Preamp into it for a total of 6 channels (I have it in a midi switcher), so you might want to turn up the ld drive to about 9 for metal. I've never liked how celestions sound, the EV's definitely have more high end and low end to them. Mine is also Simul with el34's in the outsides, so that's gonna make a big difference as well. Try boosting the 240 and 2200 sliders to max and slowly bring up the 80 and 6600 to see if that helps as well. I forgot to even ask if you have the GEQ.

yes i have the EQ as well. what difference will el34 make compaered to the 6L6 tube?

AH...thanks. Now finding someone who can tell me if the amp needs a Cap job is another story around here..:)

U know of a good tube store online?...and what's the best i can put in?..

I use eurotubes.com and do their retube kits- usually the high gain kits. I've heard nothing but good things about dougstubes.com as well.

al3d said:
ok, those setting gives me more of an AC-DC sound I would say, but still getting the weird sound on the e-string.

That should be way gainier than "ACDC". If you have a C90, it's just not going to sound super tight in a combo amp. If you want a tighter sound out of the combo you'll need an EV, or an extension cab.

ToneAddictJon said:
What kind of speaker is in the combo? I have an EV in my combo and it sounds huge by itself, but when I need bigger I run it through my 2x12 vert hb with 2 EV's. BTW here's the settings I use on my Mark III Red Stripe

front.jpg

Did you mean to post this dynamically gritty clean setting? The lead or r2 ain't pulled. I don't remember too well what I had my mkIII on when I had it, but that probably sounds nice and fat and bluesy. Like the Beavis and Butthead theme song.
But the op is looking for a more metally tone.
To the orig poster, if you hook up a 4x12, even at low volumes, you will get that chunky vibe you seek.

It's how I set all 3 of my channels, I don't pull any knobs because I use a switching system, I just figured he would use it on the lead channel for heavy distortion, not the clean channel.

With the treble on 3? I've never seen that for a metal setting. That's cool, though, whatever burns your bowl man. Must sound tight and dynamic.

well..taking it to a tech tomorow, this thing should sound a LOT better theni it is right now.

WEll..after an hrs long check with a tech, turns out that amp as totaly bad lamps, would need a Cap job, the celestion speaker is just plain bad, footswtich works when she feels like it just to name a few issues. SO, i'm returning it to it's previous owner, and getting my money back, BUT the tech as a mint one for sell, a bit more expensive, but new lamp, new caps, as the mesa upgrade for a seperate volume and with the eminence speaker. Should be able to get it tomorow..:)

Good, I hope everything works out for you. The Mark III's are just great, I forgot how good they were, maybe that's why I just got 2 of them. It's definitely better to pay a little more for a mint one, than settle for one and end up paying more in the long run. :D

Latest posts

Back