MKIII Combo Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitar Adjuster

Reaction score
I saw a MKIII combo (early 84 or 85) recently with a Altec speaker that was factory. Anyone have any info on this? What is sounds like, etc.???

Does it have a light colored cover like this

nov01_06.jpg

or a black cover like this?

altec417hiivs3.jpg

They both look like this, pretty much, on the front:
Altec2.jpg

The top speaker is an Altec 417-8C, with an AlNiCo magnet, and will handle 75w. The bottom speaker is 100w but there is some confusion as to whether it has an AlNiCo or ceramic magnet. I think the Series I 417-8H is AlNiCo and the Series II is ceramic but I'm not sure.

Wasn't the original Mark I speaker an Altec? I think Mesa used them for a while in the 70's.

Also, I think Randy Rhoads used Altecs too.

Mark Fore said:
Wasn't the original Mark I speaker an Altec? I think Mesa used them for a while in the 70's.

Also, I think Randy Rhoads used Altecs too.

Yep, right on both counts. Randy used the 417-8Hs in 4x12s, I'm told. I think the 417-8H was Mesa's choice for the Mark Is as well (since the 8c would blow up under 100w worth of assault)

phyrexia said:
Does it have a light colored cover like this

nov01_06.jpg

or a black cover like this?

altec417hiivs3.jpg

They both look like this, pretty much, on the front:
Altec2.jpg

The top speaker is an Altec 417-8C, with an AlNiCo magnet, and will handle 75w. The bottom speaker is 100w but there is some confusion as to whether it has an AlNiCo or ceramic magnet. I think the Series I 417-8H is AlNiCo and the Series II is ceramic but I'm not sure.

It's the top speaker for sure.

I bought my blue stripe in 1990, and the options were the Boogie Celestion C90 or the EVM 12L.
Pretty sure Altec was out of the speaker biz by mid 80's, when the Mark III came out. Altecs are a 70's speaker. I had a couple 417-8H's lying around for years. Tried one in my Mark III and thought it managed to sound both tinny and flubby at the same time. I have been seriously spoiled by EVM's. Boo hoo.

great question. i am actually talking to some guy trying to get rid of a mkiii just like that. so aside from what its worth, how do you like it?

fatoni said:
great question. i am actually talking to some guy trying to get rid of a mkiii just like that. so aside from what its worth, how do you like it?

Don't know. I just bought the amp broken for cheap and am sending it back to Boogie for repairs and will most likely put it in a head shell and get rid of the combo.

Back