MKIIC+ with EQ pedal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jerseydrew

Reaction score
I recently picked up a MKIIC+ combo with an EV speaker. It came with Simul and reverb but no EQ. For some reason or another, I didn't feel I was getting the "sound" I was looking for. Some of you nice people said to pick up a pedal like the Boss GE-7 and put it in the loop. Well I just picked up the pedal and it makes a HUGE difference.

I want to thank everyone for giving me this great tip. Also, for those of you who have a Mark Boogie with no eq, try this pedal, you'll be glad you did.

GIG4FUN said:
Just an innocent thought nothing meant by it...

Could it be said that perhaps the wrong guitar pickup is in the front end?

Thoughts and opinions are always welcome. That's why we post here, IMHO. At any rate, I actually have a slew of different guitars, and I tried them all. For ME, the eq makes a huge difference in THIS particular amp.

jerseydrew said:
GIG4FUN said:
Just an innocent thought nothing meant by it...

Could it be said that perhaps the wrong guitar pickup is in the front end?

Thoughts and opinions are always welcome. That's why we post here, IMHO. At any rate, I actually have a slew of different guitars, and I tried them all. For ME, the eq makes a huge difference in THIS particular amp.

I'd have to agree.. I never play mine without the GEQ.

GIG4FUN said:
Well then, owning one of these legendary amps is something I will do before long. I won't get one without the GEQ. It was my thinking all along but you know how things are...

I have one of each, with and without the GEQ, and with a GE-7 or equivalent in the loop, you're really not missing anything comparatively. I was going to send mine out to Mesa to have the EQ put in, but Mike B talked me out of it basically saying "Why spend 450 on a mod that a 45.00 pedal can do?" It's not exactly the same but it's close enough, and the non EQ versions are quite a bit cheaper... I understand wanting all the options etc, but if you're looking for tone instead of collectability, don't overlook the non GEQ versions IMHO.

I agree. Putting a decent graphic EQ (e.g. dbx 131) in ANY amp's effects loop should make a huge difference. EQ'ing between the preamp and the poweramp stages of your amp is probably the best trick in the book for immediately improving your tonal options. Add another one in front of your amp for even more options!

So you guys that have had the chance to compare EQ version vs. EQ pedal don't find much of a difference? I know that the different frequencies must account for someting...

It's not exact, but it's close. Close enough. Plus you can use the Level slider to boost it a bit.

I got my non EQ version first, and liked it OK until I put an EQ in the loop and fell in love. Then I got an EQ version, and found that I wasn't missing much. My GEQ head is Simul, and has a different transformer so my two amps don't sound exactly alike anyway, but I've put the EQ in the loop of my amp and turned off the amps EQ then tweaked the Pedal EQ and I found that it can get pretty **** close.

Elpelotero said:
So you guys that have had the chance to compare EQ version vs. EQ pedal don't find much of a difference? I know that the different frequencies must account for someting...

you could always get a parametric eq (eg. Rane PE15) and have far more versatility than with the onboard eq.

I ALWAYS have had a graphic EQ in the loop of my Marks series amps ( several III's and now my IIC+) even if they have a built-in graphic already - it has long been my "lead boost" with a very slight level increase and maybe more mids to make it jump a bit. I found that doing the Monte Allums mods to my MIJ Boss GE7 made it a much quieter and beefier sounding pedal and of course the EQ is capable of totally changing your tone on the fly as well for all your tweezing needs right at your feet (rather than at the amp itself). I got my IIC+ cheaper because it didn't have the factory EQ option, but it is NOT a valid reason to pass on a IIC+ if you are after tone, not just sniffing corks and looking for a collectible piece. Anyone who would send a IIC+ in for a retrofit EQ doesn't get it, and I'm glad Mike B. is pointing it out. That guy is the best kinda people! Z

I appreciate your guy's input. It's very positive...But still, as a perfectionist in this kind of thing, I can't help but wonder what difference there would be. It's one of those that you have to try to know for yourself I suppose. But you guys are definitely encouraging me. Anybody live in Florida with a Simul EQ version??

Latest posts

Back