Mk V - Weird noise when turning it on

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fjk1138

Reaction score
All,

My Mk V is only about 3 mos old. I was playing it for about an hour, turned it off, then decided a few seconds later to turn it back on and play a bit more. When I did this, there a was a "clicky" or "pinging" sound (not sure how else to describe it) for a few seconds while in standby. I thought it may have been the fan, so I switched that off, the noise stopped, and when I put the fan back on it was fine.

I have since played it, turned it off for 30 seconds, and then turned it back on with no problems. Is this just a weird fluke, or do you think the fan may have had some dust or crap in it? Or worse...?

If it makes any difference, I run it on full power in the 90 watt mode.

Thanks.

Was it the sound of tubes cooling off and re-heating?

Don said:
Was it the sound of tubes cooling off and re-heating?

No, this was more like a "playing card in the spokes" kind of sound. Or, like the sound of someone repeatedly flicking a switch on and off. To me, it sounded like something was caught in the fan. Again, not sure how to best describe it. It was definitely not the occasional pings that the tubes make when they cool down after you shut it off for the night.

Try turning your Master volume all the way down before you put the amp on standby, and when you take it out of standby leave the vol down for 5 secs. or so and I think you won't hear all those disturbing noises. If I take My V out of standby with the vol up it makes a racket. its just all that horsepower coming on line :lol:

I have noticed a similar thing on mine, I too thought it was the fan at first but that doesn't seem to be it. You know how when you first power up, all three channel lights are on on the footswitch? Well I have discovered that when that noise happens, it stops the second I select a channel. I just do that right away after power up now. I am kinda curious as to what the noise is though

Hmmmm; Mine dosn't make noise at all when all the lights on the FS are lit. Check your manual switch on the back is it on FS??? :? Does it help to have the Master vol. all the way down when powering up??

Do this ..

At the back of your Mark V Chassis, near the fan, there should be a white cord that runs by the fan mounting. It has the potential to be stuck or touching the fan blades ..see if you can pull it back and set it in taut.

You cards against spokes drove me to think of this issue that I have heard about from some Mesa Mark V owners.

Cheers

HeadlessAxeman said:
Do this ..

At the back of your Mark V Chassis, near the fan, there should be a white cord that runs by the fan mounting. It has the potential to be stuck or touching the fan blades ..see if you can pull it back and set it in taut.

You cards against spokes drove me to think of this issue that I have heard about from some Mesa Mark V owners.

Cheers

I was wondering if some wire was getting caught in the fan....I checked for that cord, but I don't see it. On top of it, the amp has never (thankfully) made that sound since, and I have run it for hours.

Someone I work with suggested there was perhaps a weld bead or something small that may have gotten lodged in the fan and was rattling, but I have no explanation for why it happened or why it has since stopped.

The master volume has nothing to do with this. I could definitely hear the sound coming from the back. Again, I suspect the fan in some way. The only other thing I could think of was a malfunction of the footswitch -- as if the amp was stuck in a state of channel switching or something, but the lights on the footswitch did not change and again when I shut off the fan, the noise stopped.

I don't think its the fan - on mine at least. The first few times it happened, I assumed it was the fan as well right away, and went to turn it off, and when I did that it stopped. But after a few times, turning off the fan didn't make it stop. The footswitch thing I mentioned before seems to consistently stop the noise every time though

ok...now..that you threw some more light on it...it appears to be similar to my "problem" that i had on my Mark V.
Long story short...if you're talking about that really quick rickety "relay switching" / "rapid capacitor discharging" sound...its COMPLETELY NORMAL...dont worry about it..it does sound like somehting is stuck in the fan..and it occurs only once in a while....

I had called Mesa regarding the same issue and they told me..its A-OK for it to behave that way.
Hopefully, that helps.

HeadlessAxeman said:
if you're talking about that really quick rickety "relay switching" / "rapid capacitor discharging" sound...its COMPLETELY NORMAL...dont worry about it..it does sound like somehting is stuck in the fan..and it occurs only once in a while....

That's a relief! Thanks!

Well hello I'm attaching a video and I'm wondering if this is the noise you're talking about. I get this noise mainly in full power and it's not consistent. If this is the non issue noise you were having could you please tell me so that I stop worrying. thnx in advance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyJfHAhsirw

Mine did the same thing. It was the foot switch cord. It was a little loose in the socket in the back of the amp. Tightened it up and hasn't done it since.

Back