Mk IV R2

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

devilrob1979

Reaction score
I will never know why this channel gets so lambasted. I had rehearsal today and I stay on this channel something like 80% of the time. I absolutely love it. Maybe it's because my output volume's at 6. It's not so rad at 1 or 2.

devilrob1979 said:
I will never know why this channel gets so lambasted. I had rehearsal today and I stay on this channel something like 80% of the time. I absolutely love it. Maybe it's because my output volume's at 6. It's not so rad at 1 or 2.

I hear ya man. I love R2. I find all three channels VERY usable and cannot say that I prefer any over the other. They all have a purpose.

There was a point in time when I did not care for R2 all that much. But in my case think it was the preamp tubes (using Mesa 12AX7’s) . Last year I retubed and went with www.dougstubes.com for the preamp section went with.
V1 Tung-Sol reissue 12AX7
V2 high gain JJ ECC83S
V3 Penta Labs/Shuguang 12AX7C
V4 Unlabled/Shuguang 12AX7C
V5 balanced Sovtek 12AX7LPS

Doug told me to experiment with the order of the tubes but I came back to the order he gave me but one thing I did notice when the JJ was in the V2 socket, R2 just sang. Ever since the change of tubes R2 is the channel I seem to use the most

I've never had a problem making R2 sound good on any Mark IV i've touched. Never understood the people complaining about it either.

Ditto.. R2 is very nice for classic to hard rock rhythm. It works nice for leads too.

r2 is too in between for me. i just get angered because there is only one of them and it can get more than one useable sound

I found a gritty sound I like on R2 today. It sounds similar to what my lead channel is like right now, but a hell of a lot dirtier. The lead channel is a lot smoother than R2.

My R2 sound is always too flabby.

I know I should retube this thing but i've been holding off on that in hopes of finding some str-415's to put in the amp when I retube.

I am mixed. While I like R2 for somethings, I wish it had more gain on tap. No too much more... maybe if the gain knob went to 14 instead of 10... :lol: ...if you catch my drift. The only way around it is to use a BB preamp or Tubescreamer.

6L6C said:
AJ_Newkirk said:
My R2 sound is always too flabby.

Me too! This was the problem when I was using Mesa preamp tubes but after I switched that changed.

If that preamp tube kit takes the flabbiness out of R2 then I will definitely try it! Thanks for the tip :)

lesterpaul said:
volume made the difference for me..once I got it past bedroom rock, it really came alive....gotta gas it!!!! :lol:

I agree wholeheartedly. R2 needs some juice or it does sound flabby and lifeless. Once your output volume gets past 5 the magic happens.

i have a 1950's RCA 12 ax7 in my V1 and i can put the bass on 10 on my lead and rhy 2 channel and it's still Tight like a tiger with no flab.. i love the rhy2. it's great for a broken clean to a heavy rhy sound.. it's great... but i think that tube makes a big difference

I use stock mesa 12ax7, and I can get more mellow meshuggah stuff out of it. nice channel. not much far from the lonestar either

I don't like it. For a crunch sound I think the clean channel with a boost sounds better, or lower the gain on the Lead channel and use a boost with it to get it back. R2 sounds weak, thin, flubby, and sterile IMHO.

sixstringmonk said:
Ditto.. R2 is very nice for classic to hard rock rhythm. It works nice for leads too.
man try the BB Preamp by,xotic on the R2 channel.I swear you won't play with out it..trick is don't overdrive the gain on the pedal(i have it on @ 8 o'clock
it's the most amazing tone you'll hear!

I think I might have to do something about all this BB preamp + R2 talk. I'm also a fan of the channel on it's own, I think it's the clearest tightest rhythm channel goin. I leave the fat pushed in and gain on 6 for chords higher up on the neck... tonal bliss. Especially on single coils. Run the presence around 5, treble 8... The more you open it up the better it sounds and also the further in front of the cab or speaker you get the more balanced it sounds. I usually use it most of the time.

Somehow it sounds even better recorded to. When double tracked that setting is stereo heaven.

Interesting.

I actually have the presence on 1 pushed, treble on 1, gain on 8 pulled, and get this meshuggah sound with the bridge humbucker.
The thing is that this settings don't work for other things than mellow leads with neck humbucker or meshuggah. Guess I would bring up the treble and presence a bit if I was going to play blues.

Latest posts

Back