Mk IV EV Speaker Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boogie4

Reaction score
I apologise in advance if this question has been posed before ... please be gentle with me.

I have just had my EV loaded Mk IV combo converted into a head - mainly 'cos of the weight, my bad back and my advancing years! - by a small company here near Weymouth England who did a cracking job for not much money at all.

Those of you interested and/or local to Dorchester can have a look here). I am also getting an Eminence 2x12 Badger cab to use with my new head...

However, there is one minor problem - I was going to use the Black Shadow speaker in a 1x12 cab I have about the place. But Tom found he was unable to remove the EV speaker from the combo. He unscrewed it, but it appears to have been glued to the baffle, and he stopped rather than damage the speaker.

If any of you experienced Mk IV converters out there can offer any advice I would be really grateful; I'd love the extra flexibility a 1x12 cab would give me.

Many thanks in anticipation ...

By the way - I have left the combo shell as it is, in case I ever want to have a combo again.

If it's front mounted you should just be able to pry it out, there should be no gasket material behind the speaker, it's probably just stuck a little. If it were rear mounted you would have to be more gentel as the speaker has a thick paper gasket adheared to it. Even if the gasket was damamaged or removed it wouldn't affect the speaker at all.

trickyrick said:
If it's front mounted you should just be able to pry it out, there should be no gasket material behind the speaker, it's probably just stuck a little. If it were rear mounted you would have to be more gentel as the speaker has a thick paper gasket adheared to it. Even if the gasket was damamaged or removed it wouldn't affect the speaker at all.

Many thanks trickyrick.

Actually some of the EV speakers came with a sticky backed rear gasket.
So if front mounted this rear gasket could be what's holding it in place.
If you pry it up like trickyrick says it'll come free.
The gasket may tear away but that's no big deal.
Once again as trickyrick said most of them didn't have a rear gasket so you wont need it anyway....

I had the same problem a couple of times.
If Mesa mounted the speaker while the black paint on the wood was still fresh, the frame probably got a little bit "glued" to the paint.
Just use some wood wedges and carefully detach the metal frame from the paint. The speaker will not get broken.
Regards

Latest posts

Back