MK IV and Effects question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pundix

Reaction score
I've been using a MKIV for a long time now and absolutely love the amp. I've never managed to find an effects unit though that I'm happy using with it. I'm primarily after time based effects, chorus, delay, pahsing etc... and possibly some decent reverbs. I would like something that will run well through the amps loop without overly effecting the tone of the amp itself. Most units I've tried Digitech, Boss, etc... try to do amp modeling and eq and really take away (in my opinion) from the sound of the amp. Has anyone from the board here tried anything that they really like? I'm thinking maybe a rocktron intellifex or something. I had one rocktron unit - a voodoo valve - and it was too much of a sound change. Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

The best multi effects unit I have found, in trems of being transparent on you tone, is the Alesis Midiverv IV. You can find them on eBay for under $100 all day long. Other than that, I really like the TC G-Major.

I think if you spent some time even with the boss or digitech stuff and just created your own preset with only the effects you want as oppsed to trying to use or modify factory settings( which always go overboard) you may have some luck.

You could also try the Lexicon and TC stuff. The cheaper units are still very good sounding.

If it's just delay and chorus you are looking for you may try to find an old Roland DEP3, DEP5 or and SDE1000 delay (which has chorus capabilities.) I personally have used the SDE 1000 for years. I actually liked it better than my MidiverIII ( which is very good)

Scott

You can always try the ADA 2FX, its a solid piece of vintage gear. I use a Triaxis and 2:90 as my main amp and as a backup I use the Mark IV. Unfortunately, my Triaxis is at Boogie getting some work done on her. So, I am using my Mark IV and I tried the G Major with it and wasnt impressed with the sound combo, so I got my hands on the ADA 2FX and it sounds amazing. Granted, it's doesn't have many effects like today's units but it def. is one solid piece of old school technology!

scottywompas said:
I think if you spent some time even with the boss or digitech stuff and just created your own preset with only the effects you want as oppsed to trying to use or modify factory settings( which always go overboard) you may have some luck.

You could also try the Lexicon and TC stuff. The cheaper units are still very good sounding.

If it's just delay and chorus you are looking for you may try to find an old Roland DEP3, DEP5 or and SDE1000 delay (which has chorus capabilities.) I personally have used the SDE 1000 for years. I actually liked it better than my MidiverIII ( which is very good)

Scott

Thanks Scott. I did try spending some time and doing some patches with the Digetech, but even with the EQ and all of the modeling stuff bypassed it still changes the sound of the amp too much. I also tried running it both in front of the amp and through the loop. So far I have found no happy medium with it. It sounds pretty good with some of the other amps I have plugged it into. It actually sounded really good with a couple of Fenders. No luck with the Boogie though. The MKIV sounds so much better without it that I just don't bother with it anymore. The effects I'm looking to get are chorus, delay, perhaps phaser and flanger. Even an autowah could be handy at times. I'll try to get my hands on some of the units suggested to try them out. And thanks for the advice.

I'm loving my G-Major with my Mark IV. I don't hear any coloration of my tone at all. I am totally addicted to the phaser and pedal-vibe settings. Using a volume pedal to vary the speed of the effect while playing is really addictive and fun.

I have a tc electronics chorus/flange (the kind with the built in power supply - no wall wart) and it's great. Really great match for the bright, shimmery high end i get out of my mark iv's clean channel. Was a bit expensive though - $200.

I agree w/ G-Major. Once you set the input and output levels correctly, you shouldn't hear any alteration to the original sound. The effects are great in my opinion and gives you lots of room for tweaking.

I say grab one and try it out and if you don't like it.....do the old, bring back!

JA

TC Electronics does have some great gear, but for some reason I just can't really find a happy medium with the Mark IV/G-Major combo. The G-Major is def. an awesome piece of gear for the price and it sounds amazing when used with my Triaxis. I guess I am just partial to old school gear with my Mark IV... god I love that ADA 2FX!!

As the other guys said, go with the G-Major. Incredible, versatile FX unit.

Definitely look around TC Electronic, Rocktron (Xpression or Intelliflex/Repliflex), Lexicon, or if you have thousands of dollars waiting to be spent, get an Eventide.

I suggest going to the manufacturer's site of each company you're interested in and listen to the samples provided (or try it out at a local store if they have it). From there, simply judge which FX sound best to you. Keep in mind (if you haven't) that TC Electronic, Rocktron, and Lexicon, you are guaranteed true bypass.

Latest posts

Back