Mk iii with alnico golds???

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3chordsnmore

Reaction score
Mk iii with alnico golds??? Anyone run their boogie with Alnico's?

Also are they compatible with the EVM-12L's?

Cool, thanks for the replies...

...I'll add some info here: I'm running a MK III (red stripe) simul 75/15w combo (with ext cab) both speakers are 12L's... ...just been playing with the idea of another 2x12 cab with Alnico's (Gold's punish the wallet tho). That way I can play with diff speaker config's etc...

To my knowledge the Gold's and 12L's are rated the same for sensitivity (100db), but I have some queries about the big wattage difference (Gold's 50w. ~ 12L's 200w.)...

Anyone got any more to add would be appreciated.

3chordsnmore said:

I haven't tried this, but remember that Alnico Golds are 50W speakers, so if your MkIII is a 1x12 combo, you probably need a speaker with a higher power rating.

yeah, or more than one of them.

Another approach would be to plug the 50 watter into one of the 4-ohm jacks instead of the 8-ohm jack.

This should cut your power in 1/2.

cho said:
3chordsnmore said:

I haven't tried this, but remember that Alnico Golds are 50W speakers, so if your MkIII is a 1x12 combo, you probably need a speaker with a higher power rating.

They're definitely compatible. Fuchs offers this combo in their 2x12 cabs. I have a 4x12 with two EV's and two ToneTubby alnico's. I know the TT aren't quite the same but they're in the ball park. FWI it's a killer combo. Both have strong mids but aren't the same frequencies. The Golds have more upper mids to my ear. That's just my 2¢.

Latest posts

Back