MK III Simulclass tube question - STR416

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

herrball

Reaction score
Hey Guys....

I just picked up a MK III Simul/Rev/GEQ w/ the original EV12L in it. (blue stripe)

Output tubes are 4 Svetlana 6L6's that are fairly new. I have a pair of Mesa SRT416 EL34's sitting around and popped them in the outer sockets. Here's the question....How much wear and tear is there on the outer tubes as opposed to the main 6L6s? Since the 416's are 20yrsold, do I risk any damage to the amp? Will the 416s blow any time soon? I'm guessing the brunt of the work is done by the main 6L6s so I should get some life out of these 416s. They were used 5 nights /wk for about 8 months before I changed them out back in the day. Used to work a lot and changed tubes like strings.....regularly.

Thoughts on the life span of these 416s ?

The outer sockets are made specifically for that tube. I say don't worry about it...just enjoy the tubes! It's like buying a $$$$ guitar or car just to stare at it. It's not a picture!

herrball said:
Hey Guys....

I just picked up a MK III Simul/Rev/GEQ w/ the original EV12L in it. (blue stripe)

Output tubes are 4 Svetlana 6L6's that are fairly new. I have a pair of Mesa SRT416 EL34's sitting around and popped them in the outer sockets. Here's the question....How much wear and tear is there on the outer tubes as opposed to the main 6L6s? Since the 416's are 20yrsold, do I risk any damage to the amp? Will the 416s blow any time soon? I'm guessing the brunt of the work is done by the main 6L6s so I should get some life out of these 416s. They were used 5 nights /wk for about 8 months before I changed them out back in the day. Used to work a lot and changed tubes like strings.....regularly.

Thoughts on the life span of these 416s ?
5 nights x 8 months is some pretty heavy usage. The outer sockets are the "Class A" sockets, which I'd assume receive more wear and tear...but I could be wrong here.

Are these the dual getter ("dental mirror") big bottles? If so, they're probably Sylvania 6CA7s....very desireable tubes and built like tanks to take high plate voltage (I own a pair of Philips that sound great.) If they still sound strong and aren't arcing, I wouldn't worry about them blowing. Today's tubes should be built this well!

popped those 416s in and let me tell ya........the sound I have been missing. The fatness of the 6L6's with the grind of the EL34 ..... this is some sweet ear candy.

I am curious though: Do these tubes sell for a fairly high price? Don't want to let them go, just curious.

So I have been enjoying the EL34's (Sylvania) but just took them out and noticed a something loose moving around in the tube. I can't see anything moving and the tube did not have a strange color to it when hot and the amp sounded fine. Fuse did not blow.
Is this a piece of solder from an inside joint possibly? ANyone have this happen?
I'm thinking I should play it safe and shelf the pair.
thoughts?

Latest posts

Back