Mk III headroom

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shep

Reaction score
just wondering if anyone else's mk iii have unbeleively high head room...i mean my blue stripe simil class on the 15watt setting has better tight agressive dynamic's than my mk iv on 85watts... it's AMAZING>>>

think pull me under-dreamtheter after the intro when the almost metallica like riff starts..i couldn't have even thought that not to many things could be tighter than a mk iv..

the tone is different to the mk iv... more aggressive and tight than the smooth like the IV....

i have never fully played a IIC+ but i am guessing that this is very close..

my III has incredible headroom. especially on class AB. I had a stiletto before which I used to run in 100 watt mode and crank up and slaughter the power tubes, and the el34's would begin to break up very early, and break more and more as the volume went up. I can still do the same thing with rmy mark III, but only on class A. the simul class poweramp allows you to turn the amp way up, and get that sweet spot power tube breakup because of the early breakup of the el34's and the late breakup of the 6l6's. so its like having the best of both worlds. I love it! I will never own another amp without simul class again. ever. period. I've played matchlesses, fenders, vintage marshalls, framuses, and even other boogies with traditional power amps, and the simul class just floors me with its gorgeous break up, and yet still extremely clean, focused sound.

are both of you guys running EL-34's in the outer sockets? I'm about to retube, and have had four 6L6's. It sounds good, but I'm thinking of trying the EL-34s on the outside, 6L6 inside. If you've tried both, how would you describe the differences?

what tubes are you using? I plan on using MESA 6L6 STR-440's and their EL-34 STR-447's. Have you guys have experience with those?

I am running both. right now I have winged c svetlana 6l6's in the middle, and mesa str 447 el34's in the outer paid. I used to have all mesa 6l6s. running 4 6l6s is nice, especially if you do a lot of clean work, but I play a lot of hard rock, and I like having some breakup to my powertubes. specifically that british crunch that comes from an el34. I found that running both makes for a clean that is deep, and dark, yet bright and firm at the same time. and a crunch that is again, deep, and thumpy, yet also bright, bold, agressive. kind of the same effect adam jones from tool gets from running a dual rec and a JCM800 side by side, and a lot of guys are liking from running a dual rec and a stiletto side by side. though I dont have to deal with the volume and switching issues that they do. the class A also adds a very nice kind of rich harmonic gloss over the whole thing. I am really loving simul class. randy smith should get some kind of peace prize or something for inventing this. its everything I've been searching for ages for in a power section.

i am running str 416 fatboy ca7's ( a type of el34) and str 425 or 5881 6L6..

I just checked to find that it has a 562003 output tranny which from BB said it's the C+ output with a different make number...cool.!!

Shep said:
i am running str 416 fatboy ca7's ( a type of el34) and str 425 or 5881 6L6..

I just checked to find that it has a 562003 output tranny which from BB said it's the C+ output with a different make number...cool.!!

Keep rubbing it in with those STR-416's !!!

Lucky Bastage. :D

Yes, the 562003 is 1000% identical to the IIC+ OT.

If your bias spot is around 40-50% of MPD, the amp will naturally have great headroom as it has all the room it needs to breath. The higher % of MPD you run, the less the tube can amplify before clipping/compressing/distorting. It sounds like you have a good clean power section going. In other words, LOUD AND CLEAR !!!

Back