MK IIC+ Help?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve thomas

Reaction score
Hi guys, newbie here and proud owner of a MK4 and newly purchased MK2C+. However, the Mk 2 is that I am struggling to get a non distorted sound on the clean channel even if the first gain/volume is set below 4. Is this likely to be a bad pre-amp tube and if so which is the one to look for? Thanks in advance :D

It is rather tricky to balance the distortion and the cleans...It took me a while to get it right. The neck pickup and single coils work really really well.

When you do find the clean, it will be awesome. I really love the clean sound on my C+. It's straight up clean and can get gritty if I want it to.

Try to balance things by running a high Volume 1, but keeping the Master 1 low at around 4 or less. This works with my guitar, so it may suit you differently. Then to keep the lead channel distorted, run the lead master a little higher than Master1.

Here are some of my favorite overall settings:
Vol1: 8-9
Treble: 7 pull
Bass: 2
Middle: 4
Master 1: 4 pull
Lead Drive: 7-8 pull to change channels
Lead Master: 5
Presence: 4

Thanks for the feedback but I generally think there is an electrical problem as with Volume One on 4 and master between 1-3 then the channel (clean) is still with a form of distortion...even with single coils :shock:

Is there any difference between the lead drive being pushed or pulled. If not it could be switch related. This is what controls switching between the two channels. BTW try this without a footswitch connected.

Before you go through a ton of speculation and dread, try grounding the reverb cables by soldering a single wire between the two sleeves that enter the chassis. Your problem is a possible effect of this bad reverb ground.

If not, or you don't have reverb, Then:

Look out for a dirty Vol 1. pot, bad Vol. 1 pot or possibly an LDR leaking/bleeding the lead channel in. Out of 100's of preamp tubes I have only had 1 go Fuzz Face on me. If the preamp tube went into severe clipping, your lead channel would be effected as well.

Boogiebabies mentioned the possibility of an LDR leakage issue. To test this put the amp in rhythm (Lead Drive pushed) and then turn the Lead Drive all the way down. If the problem is a leaky LDR the distortion should decrease or go away completely. If this helps then turn the Lead Master all the way up. This will approximate what the amp will sound like in the clean channel when properly operating. Again try this out without the footswitch. Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back