Mk I RI?????

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMG1

Reaction score
Does the reissue compare to the original?

Is it different in any way? Soundwise.

So many of you guys have vintage boogies I figured some of you might have some well formed thoughts on this.

I can't say I know much about it...Except that it doesn't have the pull knobs on the front, which sounded amazing on the original ones :(

Ah Ha! So there are differences!

Would I be right in assuming that the original sounds cant be had with an RI because of the pulls? Were the pulls options in the begining? Were the pulls part of the evolution of the amp?

Never understand why companies reissue stuff that does'nt have the same features as the original.

In comparison is it worth bothering with an RI? Is it just a nice amp that leaves old Boogie owners feeling empty?

I'm not sure about the sound, but it's worth trying.

The pull knobs said "gain boost" and "pull bright" on the original ones, and they were standard as far as I know.

The pull-knobs aren't on the original schematics. I wonder if they were added later.

Maybe the Re-Issue is a reissue of the original Mark I's, and not the later ones with the pull-knobs.

I have wondered about this myself.

Where's the good Doctor when you need him! :D

I'm sure he's got a life. He would probably have all the answers.

Hi Gents,
I have a reissue MK1,
to be honest with you, the tonestack is powerful enough with out all the push pull features. I like the minimalist approach.

I might have to buy a reissue. I have a clone that I built, but it sounds muddy. I think there is an error on the drawing.

It would be cool to own one anyway.

I sold my Rectoverb, but I still have a DC-2 & a Mark IV.

According to the schematic the capacitior for the "Pull Bright" function is there. It is like having thi"Pull Bright" feature on all the time. I have 2 original Mk I's and always have them pulled. As for the "Gain Boost", this basically removes the tone stack from the circuit giving a tremendous increase in gain. It would be an easy mod on a reissue with the correct pull pot. I have not played a reissue in a while but there are some cool features that the originals don't have like Tweed Power and the option to use 6V6's.

I wish I could find a new and old MKI and do a side by side.

I cant remeber the last time I saw either in a store.

Very early Mk 1 did have both 'pull knobs' and the first 'gain boost' could be activated by a footswitch that plugged up into the middle of the chassis. In fact all the first one did was take the gain up to 10 in one hit and by-pass the tone stack. But it did not bypass the graphic eq (if fitted). Odd compromise because shaping the sound for the boosted signal left you with a strange sound for regular play. Hence playes either kept the boost on all the time or didn't use it and kept the gain at 8 or above and then kicked in an overdrive pedal.

Other takes (my opinion though :? )

The Original sounds best with the sought after 6L6s Sylvania STR415s. The Reissue may not be as finicky with other model 6L6s.

I think on the Reissue you have a Full Power/Tweed “Variac” Switch I guess similiar to "Sponge/Bold" you see on the dual rectifiers.

Hi Gents,
Yes, you have a bold/tweed switch and the 60/100 switch.
you can also do the 4 6v6 thing and bring the power down to about 40w.
it really is a sweet amp.
I started with the combo then added the thiele ext cab and it is an amazing setup.

steve

Latest posts

Back