Mk 3 Reverb

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mak009

Reaction score
Hi Finally picked up my no stripe Mk3 head today.
All good but the reverb is apalling-barely noticeable. I checked the tank springs and it all looks OK.
Does anyone know the Mk 3 reverb mod details? Search function didn't get a relevant thread- I tried 3 or 4 different strings.
Thnx in advance
MAK

Yep. The mod creates a nice, subtle studio quality reverb sound. If you're looking for Fender Surf sounds, you can still do the mod, but you should also replace the tank with an Accutronics model 4AB2A1B if you have a combo, or 4AB2A1A if you have a head. The stock reverb in a Mark III is an Accutronics model 9AB2A1(X), which is a 3 spring, for a smoother sound. The 4 series tanks are 2 springs, so they have a more dramatic sound.

The Reverb mod is as follows: Insert a 2W 120K? resistor between the Red wire of the reverb transformer and ground.Then, insert a 3.32K? resistor in series with the FX send jack. Mark a red uppercase "R" underneath the accessory outlet to show that the reverb mod has been completed.

many thanks for that.
I did the 3.3 k R on the Return jack, and subbed a 9 series Accu and voila....!!!
Much verb-which I need-badly.
I personally like the 9 series/3sec for surf, tho' agree they are not so 'splashy' and more suited to the (gulp..) pedal steel players...!
No- I love those guys- I'm just jealous!
Turns out my tank is mostly dead- I'll try adding the shunt on the x-former but right now it's a goodish amount of surf-splashdom-and really opens up the Mk3 - for me!
Thanks again for yr generous info
MK

No-using the long decay 9 series. It did develop an oscillation problem until I remounted it and put a spacer between it and the fan body. Now it's OK.
Not as good as a Super Reverb with a long decay tank- which is surreal...!
It's more of a halo effect than a splashy surf sound.
I may go back to a med decay tank.
All up- my Neunaber WET pedal beats 'em all- from short splash to cavernous it's a gem.
Get one while you can ( no I don't work for Brian- but his support is xxxcellent)

Try the 4AB2A1B. Shorter springs, splashier, more in your face. The 4AB3A1B (short springs, long decay) didn't sound that much different to me. It's for sale at the $55 I paid for it, if anyone's interested.

Latest posts

Back