Mk 111 to C+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mak009

Reaction score
There's loads of comparison posts between MK111's and 11C+, but has anyone actually documented the changes to mod a Mk111 to 11C+ or is it compulsory to send it to Mesa? (not possible for me)
Chrs
MAK

You can't mod a III to a IIC+, they are different amps - however you can have a III+ mod done that brings it "closer" to the sound by widening the presence controls and smoothing out the treble; it is however a somewhat based opinion though, considering most Mark III users define their sounds as their own and IIC+ users the same. The III+ mod is a different sound, I can't really say if it's closer or not, since i've only heard one clip and nothing can describe the feel like playing it. What stripe do you have? Some candidates are better than others for getting closer to the grail tone.

Edit:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=44639

&

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27879

Hi, I hope you don´t mind if I use your thread.

I got a fully loaded Blue stripe (Simul). I have been reading all topics for the Mark III c30 mod, which is the main point to the IIC+ conversion, AFAIK. Some of the information is clear but the rest is really confusing. Could anybody resume the modifications for me, please!

1. Everybody say about putting 1000pf in c30 slot, but it is still not clear what is the value for this on the Red stripe and on the IIC+? Is this the only difference in the lead channel between the Blue and Red stripes?

2. Following the M.B. suggestions, the 1000pf in c30 should be the same as IIC+, BUT another user reported on having a 2000pf in his Black dot Mark III. Aren´t the Black stripes the same preamp as the IIC+?!?!?! Then what is the correct value for c30?

3. Somebody talks about c30 being from the pin 6 of v3, but also reported that by changing the cap from 500pf to 1000pf in the pin 7, v3 path you will get more effect. So, please, again what is the IIC+ mod exactly?

3. At the beginning you are talking about 20pf in the c27 to get a smoother tone, but in another post a user was told by M.B. that "10pf is definetely smoother". So what is the truth?

Thank you very much for your time and help!

Regards,
Yavor

bigjav said:
Hi, I hope you don´t mind if I use your thread.

I got a fully loaded Blue stripe (Simul). I have been reading all topics for the Mark III c30 mod, which is the main point to the IIC+ conversion, AFAIK. Some of the information is clear but the rest is really confusing. Could anybody resume the modifications for me, please!

1. Everybody say about putting 1000pf in c30 slot, but it is still not clear what is the value for this on the Red stripe and on the IIC+? Is this the only difference in the lead channel between the Blue and Red stripes?

2. Following the M.B. suggestions, the 1000pf in c30 should be the same as IIC+, BUT another user reported on having a 2000pf in his Black dot Mark III. Aren´t the Black stripes the same preamp as the IIC+?!?!?! Then what is the correct value for c30?

3. Somebody talks about c30 being from the pin 6 of v3, but also reported that by changing the cap from 500pf to 1000pf in the pin 7, v3 path you will get more effect. So, please, again what is the IIC+ mod exactly?

3. At the beginning you are talking about 20pf in the c27 to get a smoother tone, but in another post a user was told by M.B. that "10pf is definetely smoother". So what is the truth?

Thank you very much for your time and help!

Regards,
Yavor
Questions answered(I hope) in the other thread.http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27879&start=60 :wink:
As was stated earlier, there is NO Mark III to IIC+ conversion, two different preamp boards.

Yeah, I saw your post there. Extremely helpful, thank you very much!

Latest posts

Back