Mini Rectifier - Volume on Clean channel

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrsunnybunny

Reaction score
I am trying to find out if the volume of the clean channel on my Mini Rectifier 25 is normal or whether I might have an issue with my amp.

I find the volume on the clean (and pushed) channel is significantly softer than the overdrive. I know there is quite a big jump on channel 2 with the modern setting, but I am wondering whether my clean channel is ok compared to vintage?

I achieve roughly the same volume with the following (all on 25W):
Channel 2 on vintage, gain at 11 and the master at 8
Channel 1 on clean, gain at 12 and master at 11

Pushing it further, achieve roughly the same volume with the following (all on 25W):
Channel 2 on vintage, gain at 11 and the master at 10
Channel 1 on clean, gain at 12 and master at 3

Lastly, comparing modern to clean, I get the same volume using (all on 25W):
Channel 2 on modern, gain at 11 and the master at 10
Channel 1 on clean, gain at 12 and master at 5

Is the above normal for this amp? I'd really appreciate if someone could compare this against their Mini.

I don't have the Mini, but since it has no master volume or fx send controls, what you're describing is not too far off what can happen when I bypass the loop on my 100 watt. The way the Clean channel filters the signal and having only 3 preamp stages results in it being much more quiet. I think you're ok. Modern can be set about 1 to 2 hours lower than Vintage, depending on the Gain setting.

Another consideration is the Mid setting for each channel. If the mids are considerably different between the channels, the apparent volume will be harder to balance.

To help it cut, I put the Clean Gain around 1:00, Mid around 9:00, Treble around 1:00 and Presence as low as I have to. The idea is to get the signal brighter and more lively, but to control the overt distortion with the mid and presence.

I have the old Clean, so those settings may not apply at all to your amp, but the principles will, since both have the EQ before the Gain control and Presence near the end of the preamp. The EQ ends up shaping the Gain response. Presence controls the Volume control's treble response. The Volume will control whether the power amp is going to be clean or not.

The louder your run one channel, the louder you need to run the other channel.

The more gain you run, the less master you need... and vice versa.

Latest posts

Back