Mini-Rectifier Twenty-Five - loud enough for double bass?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elpingua

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Volume wise is a Mini Rec loud enough to jam in a heavy double bass drum setting? (IE Heavy/Death metal).

Also is it sonically identical to the dual rec?

elpingua said:
Volume wise is a Mini Rec loud enough to jam in a heavy double bass drum setting?

Your limited headroom would hurt your sound. 50 watts would be preferable.

elpingua said:
Also is it sonically identical to the dual rec?

No.
The Mini sounds crunchier, brighter and more midrangey. A 100-watt Dual sounds darker, smoother and fuller.

Even if the circuits were entirely the same except for the power (which they aren't), the difference in the wattage would make an audible difference.

Haggerty's Music did a Youtube video on this, it should give you some indication of the sonic differences. But you should really try both live to get better understanding of their differences in the sound and feel.

Yeah I had a dual rec before and I friggin loved it. Wanted to try and save some money and get something cheaper, but I guess there is no substitute for the real deal.

elpingua said:
I guess there is no substitute for the real deal.
You got it. Get what you really want, even if you have to wait a little longer and save up some more pennies. It's worth it in the end.

I feel like I could interchange a Dual or Triple and be very happy with either, but I wasn't impressed with the Single, and I assume the Mini Rec would be somewhat closer to that.

Since you mentioned trying to save some cash (I can certainly relate)... You can find used Dual's in great condition on Guitar Center's Used Gear page at great prices. Almost always cheaper than eBay. I always point that out to people because I didn't know about their online Used Gear page for a long time and have gotten some amazing deals on there ever since. Plus, you have a return policy that way if you don't like it. Just call the store before ordering and ask them about the condition but they don't post much of any info about the condition online.

I agree that the MR/ROV25 tone is similar to the Single, and not like the Dual or Triple.

I disagree about the "real deal" comment. The Single and MR are different from the Dual and Triple, but no less "real". Just different.

I think that for the lead channel, or the clean channel pushed, you would stand a chance at keeping up with double bass unless the drummer is just a beater. For actual clean, 25W just won't hold up.

I have gigged my RV25 all on its own with acoustic rock drums and had no trouble with volume, but honestly had it pretty much flat-out. I usually run a direct to FOH using a Radial JDX, which completely eliminates the need for more power and does a wonderful job of controlling stage volume.

Back