Mini Rectifier - Eminence Speaker Comparison (Video Content)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KhzDonut

Reaction score
Been on the hunt for the perfect speaker to pair with my Mini Rectifier and decided to start with some of the usual suspects from Eminence: Swamp Thang, Texas Heat, Private Jack & The Governor.

I ended up recording a bunch of sound clips for my own personal comparisons, but figured I should probably go ahead and turn it into something for my YouTube channel too, as it might be useful for others as well. I had a hell of a time finding comparison videos for the speakers I wanted to try, so I figure the more the merrier on speaker demos.

YouTube Video: Eminence Speaker Shootout

I also uploaded full versions of the song using each individual speaker (as well as an alternate mic location for The Governor) on my SoundCloud

My SoundCloud Profile

Swamp Thang
Texas Heat
Private Jack
The Governor

The Governor - Alternate Mic Location

If I had to pick a favorite, it would be The Governor by a small margin, and the Swamp Thang a close second. The Texas Heat was a bit of a one-trick-pony for me, as I couldn't find a mic location that suited both my clean AND overdriven tones, and I just didn't find that the Private Jack suited me at all. I don't think it's a bad speaker, but it runs contrary to my preferences. I was surprised, because I figured out of all of them, the Texas Heat would be my favorite, followed by the Swamp Thang and Private Jack. The Governor was kind of a surprise to me, because people often compare it to a V30, and I've never really been a V30 fan, but the Governor was really easy to fit into a mix. I do find that I miss some of the really twangy bite of the Swamp Thang, but as much as I like its tone, I have a harder time sitting it into the mix.

Your mileage may vary, and I hope this ends up being useful for some people.

Sweet comparison, thanks for posting this! :D

They are all good speakers but I prefer the Private Jack out of the bunch for my needs.
How would a Man O War fit with these soundwise?

KhzDonut said:
If I had to pick a favorite, it would be The Governor by a small margin, and the Swamp Thang a close second.
Same for me. I'm not a metal player, but those two were really close and definitely sounded best to my ears. In the mix, it was really close, but on their own the Gov shined. The one I'm sure I didn't like was the Private Jack. I like mids, and that was just too scooped for what my ear likes to hear from a guitar.

Nice job putting that together and nice playing. The vid really let's us hear the differences in context, and I liked the old tyme movie theme with the intermission, etc. Well done, mate!

JCDenton6 said:
How would a Man O War fit with these soundwise?

That's a good question, I'm not really sure. From the clips I've heard of other people using the Man O War, it didn't suit my tastes by itself, so I didn't bother (despite the fact that it's one of the few speakers they list specifically as being "suited for metal") But I've heard they're supposed to be a good speaker to use in conjunction with others like the Governor. They certainly have a unique tonality to them (at least to my ears)

KiwiJoe said:
The one I'm sure I didn't like was the Private Jack. I like mids, and that was just too scooped for what my ear likes to hear from a guitar.

I felt exactly the same. It would be very suitable for a variety of different tone choices, but they're all tone choices I don't see myself using. I guess if I was going for a more 80's kind of metal tone, but it's just too bright/fizzy/something for my playing style. I really prefer the midrange on the Swamp Thang out of all of them, but I do really like how versatile the Governor is. I'm having a hard time choosing between the two.

Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it.

Hello there,

Can you please tell me which software to use & editing youtube video? I need this information can you suggest to me.

Back