Mini Rec Surprise: Cleans Not Loud Enough?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

soundchaser59

Reaction score
Clean channel on 25 watt setting, gain about 12 o'clock, TMBP knobs at about 12 o'clock, humbucker guitar, 100 watt Weber speaker, and no pedals! Master on full blast.

Jammed with a working funk band today, stood next to the drummer in a small rehearsal room, 5 feet in front of my speaker which was 3 feet off the floor, and I could barely hear myself when I played clean.

I was really hoping the little lunchbox monster would pass this test, but I was, sad to admit it, disappointed. I've never had the "clean headroom problem" thrown in my face like this before, probably because I've always used pedals and played OD with 2x12 cabs. But I think even with my 2x12 cab the clean headroom on this little darling would still not have been up to the job. Of course, this was the loudest band I've ever played with, horns and all. But even the horn players were telling me to turn it up, and I couldn't.

When I stepped on the switcher for the lead channel, things were just right, perfect for this little gig. At least that part was fun. But it's no fun banging on the neck with a heavy pick because I can't hear myself or "feel" what clean rhythm sound I'm making.

So now what? Grab the Mark IIB with the EV speaker? Look for a Express 5:50? Reverend Hellhound? VHT? Or go back to the Rivera 55 watter? Or.......what?? I usually shy away from the Fender stuff, great legendary cleans, but the lead OD sounds I've never bonded with like I did with the Rivera I had.

Maybe I need to revert back to the more efficient speakers, like some of the Eminence or the old reliable EV's?

soundchaser59 said:
5 feet in front of my speaker which was 3 feet off the floor, and I could barely hear myself when I played clean.

Try putting the speaker up on something, and/or try to increase the distance to you. I feel your speaker position is not very efficient, you are blasting your nuts instead of your ears :D

I would switch to a 2x12 with more efficient speakers and also like said either tilt it up facing everyones heads or get a speaker stand that is more ear level.

This is why there are Class A/B big bottle amps. Small format amps are great for overdriving the power section but for styles that actually requires a clean tone to be heard, more power is preferable. Wrong tool for the job sir, sorry to say.

Agreed. I wind up using my OD808 to kick it up when I need to hear the clean channel. The Mini works great when the song is arranged around big clean guitar chords, but when everybody is wailing, it drops out. If I overdrive the clean channel, it's plenty loud.

Like YJ wrote, this is why they have 50- and 100-Watt amps.

If the band is pounding it out, why not overdrive the clean channel a bit. Who would know?

Forget a speaker stand. You brought a Honda Civic to the Daytona 500. You need some hardware that can keep up.

ryjan said:
Forget a speaker stand. You brought a Honda Civic to the Daytona 500. You need some hardware that can keep up.

That about sums it up. I used to play in a band that would often get so loud by the last set that even a sixty watt head had problems staying clean at the volumes we were hitting. It sounded good, but it wasn't clean at all.

At that kind of volume, run the mini into the PA. You can either mic it or run a speaker direct box. I'm using one of those (Radial JDX Reactor) and it works amazingly well. I actually keep the Mini master volume quite low and run most of the volume in the PA.

What amplifies the mic? You could use a Mackie 802 to mix in some guitar. Or get a small powered speaker to reinforce the Mini volume at practice and use the PA on the gig. You wouldn't need much, just a small solid-state combo, maybe 30W, to reinforce it a bit.

Sorry to say it, but you definitely have the wrong tool for the job right now. Just increasing the efficiency of a speaker won't do it if clean headroom is the problem. You need MOAR POWAR!!! :shock:

Get a powerful halfstack or 2 x 12 combo for maximum clean headroom. For that style, the mini won't cut it. Overdriving the power section of a 100watt class A/B guitar amp is a fools errand, but that much power was created for people who wanted to be heard above the band without distorting. If you were playing in a blues band, the mini through a 4 x 12 would be perfect. Clean mode with the master cranked and no volume issues :D

For what you're doing you need added firepower. Lonestar classic 2 x 12 combo set to full power should give you an amazing clean with some reverb as well as a scorching lead channel. If this doesn't work for you, there is always the Electra Dyne, the Dual / Triple Rectifier Reborn, the Roadster, the Mark V... You do have options XD

If you have a Mark III already, that would most likely be perfect!

Oh yes. Before I forget, keep the mini. It is a different tool which is very useful for practicing and using with 'different' flavours of bands. In my estimation, any serious guitar player should have a lunchbox amp in their arsenal.

YellowJacket said:
Sorry to say it, but you definitely have the wrong tool for the job right now. Just increasing the efficiency of a speaker won't do it if clean headroom is the problem. You need MOAR POWAR!!! :shock:

Get a powerful halfstack or 2 x 12 combo for maximum clean headroom. For that style, the mini won't cut it. Overdriving the power section of a 100watt class A/B guitar amp is a fools errand, but that much power was created for people who wanted to be heard above the band without distorting. If you were playing in a blues band, the mini through a 4 x 12 would be perfect. Clean mode with the master cranked and no volume issues :D

For what you're doing you need added firepower. Lonestar classic 2 x 12 combo set to full power should give you an amazing clean with some reverb as well as a scorching lead channel. If this doesn't work for you, there is always the Electra Dyne, the Dual / Triple Rectifier Reborn, the Roadster, the Mark V... You do have options XD

If you have a Mark III already, that would most likely be perfect!

Oh yes. Before I forget, keep the mini. It is a different tool which is very useful for practicing and using with 'different' flavours of bands. In my estimation, any serious guitar player should have a lunchbox amp in their arsenal.

I am forced to agree, though I appreciate all the input here.

Howzabout a Rivera Knucklehead 100 into an open back 200 watt 2x12 loaded with Weber 100 w Legacy and 100 w Michigan? I think that might be able to handle what I'm doing.

Good news is I passed the audition and was invited to join the funk band.......and the call came in just 48 hours after I bought and paid for the Knucklehead 100! A leap of faith of sorts......

this implies that I may be able to make enough pocket change gigging to pay off the Rivera without selling the Mini Rec. If there is a way I can pull this off and keep the Mini Rec, I will. I don't want to let it go unless I absolutely have to. I do like it, just like you said it is not quite the right tool for this particular job. It's awesome for recording and small room/small crowd venues with the church bands, though!

Aha TAKE THAT HORNS!!! Let us know how your next rehearsal goes!!

re: Mini Rec. I'm waiting until they reach saturation in the market and the used price falls, then I'll probably snap one up. I have a Dual Rec and an Electra Dyne but if volume was REALLY an issue, the Mini would be a great tool for that situation.

I've got a Road King, and I tell ya, it's PLENTY loud, but I'd love that Recto sound in my bedroom. I may also pick one up once they come down in price.

I went to one rehearsal with a 1x12 DC3 and one rehearsal with a 1x12 Subway 44. I turned the volume up to 3 and the horn players said, "Whoa! That's plenty!" I guess I can work with it.

But I'm still tempted to get a Mini Rec back in my studio.

Latest posts

Back