Mini rec new tubes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Axxion24

Reaction score
I ordered a tungsol for v1 and jj el84s. I put in my notes to send mesa spec. What would happen if they are not in spec? Will i potentially damage my mini rec? Or will the tubes just die faster?

Mesas use a fixed bias, so there will be no harm to your mini. When they ask you for the amp, they are trying to match à set of tubes to give you the best tone. Of course this is according to them.

They didnt ask me, they just shipped them out after i places my order. I just put mesa spec in the comments field. So wht are the consequences of them not being biased for the mini??

Axxion24 said:
So wht are the consequences of them not being biased for the mini??

You dont bias tubes, when talking about biasing, its the power section of your guitar amp (2xEL84s). From what I've read the hotter you run your bias (More voltage) the more dynamics and such. According to many rectifiers (to be safe) are baised cool. Because of this people say they sound sterile...

I never messed with biasing, so and I dont waste my time requesting special tubes anymore.

If the tubes are spec'ed low (too cold) the amp will have a reduced output and sound sterile and lifeless.

If the tubes are spec'ed high (too hot) they could red-plate and draw too much current through the amp, possibly destroying other components in the amp (like screen grid resistors).

It's your amp, do as you wish. I recommend you follow the formulas proven by amp designers over the last 60 years or so and check your idle plate current (bias) to ensure you do not exceed design specs of the tubes (usually less than 70% of max plate dissipation) so you do not damage your amp.

Or just use Mesa's tubes.

Dom

Dual BiasTester-MPD for EL-84 ordered ;) Now, on to how how to figure all the crap out.

EDIT:
Im getting some info on the TubeSync V4. This thing just plugs into the sockets and requires a connection to common ground. You then drop your tubes in. It will automatically adjust your bias for you for each tube. No more requirement to match pairs or to even use the specified tubes types. With software you can customize what you want your bias running at.

It has an idle mode where if you hit a mute switch on your tuner/guitar or kill the volume it will enter into its own standby mode until it detects audio again.

supposedly Orange and Hiwatt come with these from the manufacture.

Again, just looking into this and trying to see if they will even sell it to me in an el84 version.

Thanks for the info Dom.

After testing with the bias probe I got from AMP-Head it turns out the stock tubes run pretty hot. Im running at 86%-99% to be exact. After much reading and all the info says I should be running no more than 22ma (70%), not 30.3. Why are these Mesa EL84s running so hot???

Mesa is notorious for biasing hotter on their EL-84 amps than any of their other models. I would never put something hotter than what Mesa uses into the amp. I just stick with the Mesa tubes, since I haven't found anything that I like any better without going into the ludicrous price realm.

After about a half a dozen gigs with the Mini, it makes me wish the Duals and Triples were biased this hot. It has a glorious sizzle on the vintage mode, and cleans break up nicely up top when you smack it hard. Good call on the Tung Sol, too, since I use that in every amp I own.

Was thinking about getting a couple JJ EL84's but man I really don't think the Mini needs much of any kind of tonal change with stock tubes, EXCEPT V1. The Tung-Sol reissue 12ax7 really does smooth the amp out so much. But I left all other preamp tubes stock. I tried Tung sols in V2 and 3, EH's, old Mesa Chinese tubes, RCA's... the best sound I got was with just swapping the first preamp 12AX7 with a good ol' Tung Sol and BAM, there's the shining warm smoothness I was going for.

Still wanna hear what you JJ guys think about the tone difference with the stock El84's and JJ's.

But you know what they say, if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Adambomb said:
Still wanna hear what you JJ guys think about the tone difference with the stock El84's and JJ's.
I'm not sure there is a difference. Most of what I've been reading says Mesa has started using JJ's and relabeling them as Mesa. My guess is you'll hear more difference if you try the Tung Sols.

soundchaser59 said:
Adambomb said:
I'm not sure there is a difference. Most of what I've been reading says Mesa has started using JJ's and relabeling them as Mesa. My guess is you'll hear more difference if you try the Tung Sols.

Mesa uses JJ 12AX7's. the EL84's are Sovtecks.

The 2 sets of JJ's I have run really hot, 100% to 110%. After speaking with the Tubestore, they told me that JJs they sent me, labelled as 33, are as low they come. The other set running at 110% are from thetubedepot labelled as 31's which run at 34.7 in my Mini.

I wonder if that is why Mesa EL84s are Sovteks, as JJ run too hot.

Anyone else using JJ EL84s measure them to see what the Bias' are?

Latest posts

Back