Mini Rec 10watt sound cuts out

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stellarrays

Reaction score
While in the 10 watt setting of my Mini Rec. the sound will cut out and stay that way until the amp is powered off then back on. This happens in all modes/effects loop on or off but only in the 10 watt setting. After contacting Sweetwater Music(where I purchased), they sent a replacement set of Mesa EL-84 tubes after explaining the issue. After swapping out the
replacement set, a few days later the issue resumed. I have for testing purposes replaced the preamp tubes with a spare set to eliminate possibilities but no luck.

Not sure if both sets of mesa EL-84 tubes were the culprit or if something else is going on. On a side note, this is the second Mini Rec that Sweetwater has sent since September of 2012. The first one had similar issues but cut out in all modes and power settings. I really love the tones and versatility of this amp but I'm a little apprehensive gigging with it. Never have I had issue with my Triaxis or 2:90. I do plan to contact Sweetwater again (great customer service!) but was wondering if anyone had any insight to why this could be happening or have experienced this issue. Thank You.

stellarrays said:
While in the 10 watt setting of my Mini Rec. the sound will cut out and stay that way until the amp is powered off then back on. This happens in all modes/effects loop on or off but only in the 10 watt setting. After contacting Sweetwater Music(where I purchased), they sent a replacement set of Mesa EL-84 tubes after explaining the issue. After swapping out the
replacement set, a few days later the issue resumed. I have for testing purposes replaced the preamp tubes with a spare set to eliminate possibilities but no luck.

Not sure if both sets of mesa EL-84 tubes were the culprit or if something else is going on. On a side note, this is the second Mini Rec that Sweetwater has sent since September of 2012. The first one had similar issues but cut out in all modes and power settings. I really love the tones and versatility of this amp but I'm a little apprehensive gigging with it. Never have I had issue with my Triaxis or 2:90. I do plan to contact Sweetwater again (great customer service!) but was wondering if anyone had any insight to why this could be happening or have experienced this issue. Thank You.
I'm sure one of the really knowledgeable people here can help, but, in the meantime, I would put an email or phone call in to Mesa. They're customer support is pretty good from what I hear... :wink: (I'm being cheeky; they're customer support is legendary).

Hi, I had a similar problem but in all modes and settings. I replaced the power tubes, preamp tubes and so on with no luck. The problem ended being one of the caps. You should have your mini checked and which I should have done earlier. I bought it new but have sent mine to the service center three times so far! It's been working fine since last summer. Hope yours will get it fixed soon.

Strange that this is your second mini to experience the same issues.

I wonder if it has anything to do with your power. Does this only happen at home? One particular outlet?

Also, have you tried different cables, guitar, eliminated any pedals/fx In your chain.

It is possible there was a bad production run with bad caps and you got 2 duds.

kguitars said:
Hi, I had a similar problem but in all modes and settings. I replaced the power tubes, preamp tubes and so on with no luck. The problem ended being one of the caps. You should have your mini checked and which I should have done earlier. I bought it new but have sent mine to the service center three times so far! It's been working fine since last summer. Hope yours will get it fixed soon.

I will definitely bring that to the attention of Sweetwater Music and Mesa, hopefully that will resolve the issue. I really like the amp a lot, and hopefully find out what is causing the issue. Thank you kguitars!!

Addictedtokaos said:
Strange that this is your second mini to experience the same issues.

I wonder if it has anything to do with your power. Does this only happen at home? One particular outlet?

Also, have you tried different cables, guitar, eliminated any pedals/fx In your chain.

It is possible there was a bad production run with bad caps and you got 2 duds.

The power in my music room is on a separate circuit from the rest of the house. I have tried different outlets and gig'd once with it prior to issue.
Yes, definitely tried different cables removed pedal from the chain. Thank you for your reply Addictedtokaos!!

Mine just did the same thing yesterday. Please post the solution when you find it. I sent an email to Mesa yesterday and I will post their advice once I receive it....thanks!

Here is a quote from an older thread addressing the issue: http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=63561&hilit=mini+rec+10+watt

Vigo1999 said:
So my amp tech had 3 mini rectos at his shop with the same problems. the clients complained that, when in the 10W mode, there were severe volume oscilattions, plus at the lead channel the volume was always too low and very bright.

he sent a mail to Mesa about and they replied with the following instructions to fix the problem:

"1) Change R8, the mute timing resistor from a 1M5 to a 560K
2) Change C47, the mute timing cap from a .082 to a .22-- note that the
positive end of the cap points toward the rear of the amp. Also, the new
larger cap can mount into the holes as shown-- it's the same as the original
cap.
3) Add a 1kuf 25V cap to the +16V supply, in parallel with C44"
. . .

I realize this is an old thread here but can anyone verify the three changes reposted by Kiwi Joe worked and exactly where the leads of the 1kuf 25v cap go? Pictures would be fantastic.

Latest posts

Back