MINI MARK V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'll hold out for the inevitable Fillmore equipped mini-Mark combo. ;)

Ryann said:
I think I'll hold out for the inevitable Fillmore equipped mini-Mark combo. ;)

I was considering that too until someone from Mesa posted on an other forum that they had no plans to make one. I'd use it alone for jams at friend's houses and with my Thiele cab when I wanted a bigger sound.

igfraso said:
Excuse me?

Oh, sorry. I forgot to ask you for permission to give my opinion.

Just wondering if your opinion is based on any first-hand experience or knowledge of the circuit design?

From the other thread:

6V6s are a phenomenal tube for clean, clipped and overdriven tones, but that type of power section response does not lend itself well to an amp that is trying to offer those sounds, AND higher gain sounds for rhythm & solos, AND, gig-able headroom. If this were a home practice amp or studio amp not trying to be gig loud enough, 6V6s might be nice for some things, but likely loose (and flubby) on the bottom for other things, particularly higher gain stuff. With an amp of Mark series heritage, and in an attempt to make this amp the MOST globally useable for most things, players and playing applications, 6V6s are not the ideal choice. Beautiful tube though - someday there will likely be a Mesa that delivers on the foundations of the great and deliciously clipp-able 6V6. Thanks for the comment and hope this helps!

Don said:
I was considering that too until someone from Mesa posted on an other forum that they had no plans to make one. I'd use it alone for jams at friend's houses and with my Thiele cab when I wanted a bigger sound.

****. I guess I can see such an amp really cramping the Express 5:25 Combo's style.. Authorized Boogie: can you confirm the above?

Ryann said:
Don said:

****. I guess I can see such an amp really cramping the Express 5:25 Combo's style.. Authorized Boogie: can you confirm the above?

Correct. We currently have no plans to release the Mark Five: 25 in a combo. Thanks!

Authorized Boogie said:
Ryann said:
Don said:

Correct. We currently have no plans to release the Mark Five: 25 in a combo. Thanks!
+1 on the 'please reconsider' idea. I like combos much more than heads only. For the way I work, they give me the best of all options. If I need to grab something quickly and play, all I have to grab is one piece of gear. Then, if I want to use a different cab and speakers, I still have the option to plug in whatever I want. Yeah, the combo is heavier than just the head, but I will put up with the extra weight for the added options it gives me.

Every Mesa that I have ever had (and there have been multiple) have been combos.

Add me to the 'interested party' list if you decide to add a combo option.

I would also love a combo version of this amp!!

Just because Mesa doesn't currently plan to offer a Mini Mark Combo doesn't mean that they won't eventually.
The now very popular Mini Rec Head was initially released a few years ago, but only recently has the Mini Rec Combo been released! :wink:
And yes, I know they added a reverb circuit, but other than that it is the same in head and combo version as far as I know.
My suggestion is to buy the Mini Mark Head now......and also buy the Mini Mark Combo later down the road! :lol:

If I love the head version (which I think I will), I would probably also purchase a 112 combo version as well if offered by Mesa in the future.
Until then.....I am truly looking forward to the receipt of my mini mark that I have on order! :mrgreen:

MBJunkie said:
And yes, I know they added a reverb circuit, but other than that it is the same in head and combo version as far as I know.

I believe the differences are more extensive than that.

Due to the lack of a combo version, this amp will have to sound way better (not just be more versatile) than my DC3 combo and Studio .22+, both of which I've modified to suit my taste.

It's good that we're voicing our opinions. Mesa does see/hear what we say.

Oh great! This temptation is all I need. I just sold a Splawn Streetrod combo because it was so heavy. I love the sound of the Marks. Which mini cab to use with this? The mini Rec cab? Is that what they're using in the video?

I am psyched. I love my Mark amps, but tend to play my Subway Blues more often, since most of the time I am playing in my garage. It sounds better at lower volumes. This amp looks like a nice replacement for my Blues! I suppose I could use my Blues amp as a slave amp for stereo!

Of course, we all have our particular preferences for the channel options...I would have chosen a lower gain set of the 6 individual modes, like (1: Clean/Fat/Tweed 2: Crunch/Mark 1/Mark IIC+) but I can see where their choices rightly target the higher gain crowd, which is probably the predominant market. ... . All in all, I think Mesa is knocking it out of the park with one! Way to go Mesa!

Authorized Boogie said:
Don said:
MBJunkie said:

I believe the differences are more extensive than that.

The addition of the reverb circuit and aesthetics are the only differences. Thanks!

Thanks for the info!

cho said:
Of course, we all have our particular preferences for the channel options...I would have chosen a lower gain set of the 6 individual modes, like (1: Clean/Fat/Tweed 2: Crunch/Mark 1/Mark IIC+) but I can see where their choices rightly target the higher gain crowd, which is probably the predominant market. ... . All in all, I think Mesa is knocking it out of the park with one! Way to go Mesa!

I feel the same way- I would've chosen those exact modes! I think I'd really like the amp the way built it though.

Authorized Boogie, is there a Mark 1 25 on the drawing board? Slap that King Snake preamp with the EL84 power section, throw in reverb, GEQ, and the cab clone, and that would be one sweet Mini Mark 1! Perfect way to carry on the legacy, since the King Snake is a limited edition. (hint hint nudge nudge)

Now I was really excited when I saw the Teaser of the new Mini-MkV and totally GASing towards it....
But when I saw yesterday how much the amp goes for in Germany I had a big drawback....
They wanna have 1798€ for the MiniV!!!!! That´s 2290US-$......

Seriously, that´s ridiculous....hopefully TTIP/TAFTA will help even out these price-gaps.

Authorized Boogie....Several of us would really like to hear a nice demo of the wide range of tones offered in the crunch mode of Ch1 of the Mini Mark?

cho and Don, I hear what you are saying and partly agree, but....

I think the modes that were chosen for the Mini Mark are truly spot on for the 2 channel and lower wattage format!

Yes, I truly do love the "tweed mode" of Ch1 on my big Mark V which isn't included on the Mini Mark.
That said, I believe that the "crunch mode" of the Mini Mark in Ch1 will be able to closely achieve the "tweed mode sounds of the big Mark V" if set to lower gain settings???
Regardless, it is definitely a GREAT thing that Mesa included the "crunch mode" somewhere in the Mini Mark.....else I probably wouldn't even be interested in the Mini!
The main reason I say this is because I have found the "crunch mode" of my big Mark V to offer the most versatile range of great sounds in the entire amp!

Also, having the "crunch mode" in Ch1 of the Mini Mark should also offer very nice crunch rhythm and nice high gain lead sounds if so desired which really isn't offered in Ch1 of the Big Mark V. Personally, I think this could be very important to some players in the 2 channel format.

Regarding your disappointment of the lack of Mark 1 mode in the Mini Mark? Personally, the "Mark 1 and Edge Modes" of the big Mark V are by far my least favorites so I am GLAD they are not included in the Mini Mark! It isn't that I can't achieve decent sounds out of these modes on my big Mark V......it is more that it requires very extreme settings of treble, middle, bass, GEQ to even sound decent in these 2 modes for my tastes. Secondly, I have never found a great "Mark 1" setting of my big MkV that cut through and sounded nice in a band mix. Could just be me though.

On the other hand, I have found that the "Crunch Mode" of my big Mark V offers an incredible wide variety of great sounds with or without the GEQ engaged which sounds GREAT in a live band mix!

Of course these are just my opinions and YMMV! :wink:

Authorized Boogie......please do provide us with a comprehensive demo of the wide range of sounds offered in just the crunch mode of the Mini Mark to ensure us that we really aren't going to be missing out with the omission of the "tweed mode of the big V". I believe there would be a captive audience listening to this demo! :wink:

Cheers!

MBJunkie said:
cho and Don, I hear what you are saying and partly agree, but....

My choices of what modes I'd prefer to see in the amp are based on my being an older guitarist playing mostly blues and classic rock. For me, "high gain" is Santana and Larry Carlton (I'm sure I'll find sounds that I can use for that from this amp). I think Mesa has chosen the modes correctly for most of their audience.
I had an Express 5:50 and always struggled with the clean and crunch modes being on the same channel. Those two modes were all I needed from the amp most of the time- 'cept when playing Santana and Carlton :mrgreen:.

I think the cleaner channel with some nice OD pedals will sound great with the dirtier channel used for much higher gain.

Maybe one day they'll make an amp where the modes are channel assignable by the user. That'd make everyone happy!

Mark preamps with EL84 outputs. This might be perfect for me, as I've grown very accustomed to the benefits of 84's in medium to low volume situations. Marks with big tubes sound great, but really struggle (IMO) in tighter quarters/low volume situations. I see a demo in my very near future. This could be the first new amp I've ever bought. Kudos to Mesa for continuing to stretch the box.

Having spent the last few weeks on a Les Paul forum listening to the wrangling/whining over the 2014 and 2015 Les Pauls, this is a breath of fresh air! I turn my head for a minute and Mesa pulls out the rug!

Latest posts

Back