Mic. placement techniques

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

undrcroft

Reaction score
Didn't find any posts on this. Just seeing what Mic techniques you guys use on your Recto Cabs. Theres no way to direct out the Rectos right?
What angles/distance/placement do you guys use and why? Trying to get the best with my recto cab and SM57

If you are only using a 57, I would suggest sticking it as close to the grill as possible somewhere in between the cone and the edge of the speaker. But I also suggest trying all of your speakers, for each one will sound slightly different recorded. The bottom speakers are usually more bassy while the top speakers are a little more clear, IMO. I use a combination of mics and mic placements.

I've tried cramming the mic right up on the grille, but i'm getting alot of bass rumble on the recordings(from the proximity effect) on the top and bottom speakers. I've tried a couple angles but with the mic pointed anywhere near center, the bass overpowers the mic, especially on palm mute parts.

And theres no way to direct out the amp right?

Ya, there is. Just enable the loop, and run a line out from the effects send, into your board. Keep your loop mix at 50%, and control the volume with the channel volume knob. Keep master/power-amp output to 0%. MAKE SURE you have a cab or a load soak connected to your head when you do this, for safe operation.

Barring that, you should still be able to get a good tone with your SM57. How loud are you playing? If you're finding that you're suffering from proximity effect, instead of jamming the mic into the grill, try turning your amp up and pulling the mic back a bit. The further back you go, the more the room will affect your sound. Either that, or turn down the bass on your amp to balance out the proximity effect.

Also, generally when you record, it's a good idea to run your gain a bit lower than you would whilst recording, the resultant signal ends up sounding a bit smoother & clearer than it would if you ran your gain regular. Unless you already play with relatively low gain, that is.

And you have to be really careful with Mesa's to not get that super low bassy rumble in the sound, but still tight.

I move my mic's about a quarter of an inch off the grill and more closely to the center of the cone rather than the edge to kill some of the low end.

try an sm57 about 1/2" off of the grill and try a couple of spots:
1) near the cone seam and off axis pointing toward the outer edge of the speaker
2) center between the cone seam and the edge of the speaker and off axis pointing toward the cone.

I found the closure you get to the center the more important it is to set your mic off axis a little bit to bring down the "beam" frequencies.

Also, throw on your headphones and play your guitar and have someone move the mic around. It's a lot easier to find the sweet spot this way.

Latest posts

Back