MIC COMPARISON: Sm57 Vs Beta 57 Vs Perception200

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blinkie

Reaction score
Ok... I decided to test these 3 mics on a fixed position...
I figured it might be helpful for those out there choosing a mic to buy, or just for curiosity...

- Amp is a Dual Rectifier on 3rd Channel (Modern Mode) : going on a compressor (NOVA SYSTEM)
- Guitar is a Fender Telecaster with a Dimarzio ToneZoneT
- SoundCard is an Edirol UA-101 into LOGIC 9
- Song is an Excerpt of "Holiday" by Green Day...

No effects were used, sound is completely dry...
I leveled all the sounds so as they seem to have the same volume...

I post a mix and a solo for each mic, and i post them all together on the mix.

too bad my sm58 decided not to work, it would be a more complete test.

http://www.yousendit.com/download/bFFPcmxWUnJZY1JjR0E9PQ

here u go, make sure u comment on which u prefer...

PS: Shure SM57 and Shure Beta 57 and dynamic mics, and AKG Perception 200 is a condenser mic.

Blinkie.

Ok, nevermind that file, has some wrong files...

this is the fixed one...

http://www.yousendit.com/download/bFFPcmxWeWFTRTVjR0E9PQ

sorry...

Hey blinkie, you know we're mostly a bunch of metalheads! Pop rock doesn't sit well here.. just joking! :D I remember your old clips and you posted some really well-recorded guitar stuff, so I'm always interested in what you post. Here are my thoughts:

Guitar only: SM57 sounded the best to me. Beta57 seems smoother but lacks a bit of body.
In your mix however I think the Beta57 recording sits better.

Can't speak for the Perception. I don't know if it's my pc soundcard fault, but it seems like you recorded those tracks in mono rather than in stereo. SM57 and Beta57 tracks are smooth and great sounding due to double tracking and panning, but I can't hear this thing with the erception tracks...

thanks dude... i have been away for a while... but im still making music and trying to get the best out of my gear ...
nice to see u still around and still commenting on my posts... haha

blinkie.

Latest posts

Back