Mesa Tubes, Warranties and my new Stiletto Deuce II

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

les_paul_gold_top

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Being a newcomer to this group, I figured I ask a few questions. I was told by my dealer that use of any other tube than Mesa's will void the amp warranty. I also see that in the warranty literature. Are you guys using "matched" non Mesa tubes in the warranty period or are most of you outside?

I have always had a spare set (sometime two sets) for my 50 watt '73 1987 amp - more often than not - something would give in a gig (and usually when we were playing "That Smell" the lead at the end of the tune - believe it or not! So I always have spares of everything on hand at gigs. The dealer thought I was a little wacky to have spares for a brand new amp!

Also, are most of you guys using clean boosts or tube screamers in front of your Stilettos? I found the solo, so far, easily takes the place of my "boost and drive" pedals. I was using a TS9 as well as a Keeley modified Boss Super Overdrive. I think I'd be afraid to hook tat baby up to the Stiletto in Fluid Drive!

Your thoughts...

Lester

Yes, Mesa contends that you only use their power tubes if your amp is still under warranty. If your dealer thought it was silly to have back up power tubes, he or she should study the vacuum tube a bit closer before thinking it is silly.

I've bought power tubes from Mesa once. After that, I decided to save my money. I buy most of mine through KCA NOS Tubes, Doug's Tubes, Jim McShane and Eurotubes. I'm not too worried about the warranty of the amp. I can usually fix something myself.

Anyway, it's a "toss up" situation. If you want the luxury of "not having to worry about anything", use Mesa's relabeled power tubes and preamp tubes.

A lot of folks boost Stilettos. I happen to boost a Triple Recto from time to time with a treble booster to give it more of a Mark Series type feel and tone. It works! :)

Dale

If you use tubes that fit within the fixed bias, you should be fine. If you're worried about the warranty...well...just put the Mesa tubes back in before you take it to a tech... :lol:

As for the OD boost in front, a good bit of people use them simply to tighten up the sound of the amp, particularly for heavy rhythm playing.

Latest posts

Back