Mesa Stiletto Warranty

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgcable

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Mesa Stiletto Deuce. It only has around 20 hours on it total and it is in need of repair. When the loop is activated the amp loses all volume. I brought it to a local amp repair guru and he told me he can't work on it because he needs the schematic and Mesa won't send him one (which I totally understand). The amp is in mint flawless condition.
I have all the paperwork that came from the original owner EXCEPT the Bill of Sale.
The paperwork states its a transferable 5 year warranty. Will Mesa cover the repair?? I am going to call them Monday morning to arrange sending it back to them.
I am a 30+ year Mesa user and have owned everything from Studio Calibers to Mark 3's to Rectifiers.
Just wondering. Thanks.

I dont think the warranty will cover it unless you bought it from an authorized Mesa dealer... at least thats what they told me last week. But they are cool and will help you get it fixed. you just might have to pay a little.

Try changing out the V4 tube first.... this controls the loop and is an inexpensive repair.

jgcable" I brought it to a local amp repair guru and he told me he can't work on it because he needs the schematic and Mesa won't send him one (which I totally understand).[/quote said:
I had my old mark IV worked on by the local amp guru here and he had it fine, added a bias pot and changed the 'class A' setting to an ACTUAL class A setting.

So.. I am pretty much up crap creek with this Stiletto Deuce.
I spoke to Marcus at Mesa and he told me to check 2 things.
1. jump the send and return and see if the amp works with the loop switch enabled. It doesn't. Turning the solo and master output knobs on 10 barely gets me to a bedroom volume. Disengage the loop switch and the amp works fine.
2. Check V4 which is the tube for the loop. I replaced it and the amp is still the same.

Because I don't have the original BOM (even though the amp is mint with only 20 hours on it and I have every shred of paperwork and tags except for the BOM) Mesa only directed me to a local authorized Mesa repair center. Unfortunately... none of them are close to me at all. I called one and they never called back.
Are there any Mesa amp tech guru's here that can guide me in some deep troubleshooting or suggest what I should do? Everybody seems to think its a bad preamp tube in V4 but I replaced it. What else would cause this problem?? The amp works perfectly with the loop off. As soon as I switch the loop on the amp looses 95% of its volume. Even with the master output on 10 and the channel master volume on 10 it is barely louder than bedroom level.

jbird said:
What about the Send level on the rear panel?

Even with the send level on the rear panel on 10 it is still just a little above bedroom level. The send level control raises the volume as you turn it up but in addition to being very low volume it also introduces nasty distortion if the send level control on the rear panel is on 10.
When the loop is disengaged the amp is crazy loud like all 100w Boogies are.

Is the footswitch plugged in? If so? Unplug it! I'm shooting in the dark here. But I think you've done a pretty thorough job of diagnosing the problem! All of the knobs (pots) are working, right? Oh ya, if you don't have the owners manual, go to the Mesa sight and download it!

The footswitch is not plugged in. I tried it both ways. All the knobs work and I have the owners manual.

Update... I talked in length to Dave Sarge at Engineered Sound and I just sent my Stiletto Deuce off to him. He is going to fix it and do the Hollywood Mod.
Thanks for all the help guys.

Latest posts

Back