Mesa Roadster Clean vs Roadking2 Clean

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Slaytallica said:
Does the Roadster have the same clean channel from the Loanstar like the Roadking 2?

Thanks
i believe it is so. but remember that obviously the different power tubes configurations you can choose between in the RK II may give the clean channel different flavours.

barneyc4 said:
Does anyone have any clips of the Roadster's cleans.
you should search for a guy named fredster, it seems to me he posted many roadster clips some months ago (both clean and dirty).

Here are the clips by Fredster:

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewtopic.php?t=4625

Thanks.

Would you say that the Roadster has better cleans than the F-50?

well, i've never tried an f-series amp, and , as with all things, i think it ends up being a matter of taste... i can only say that the clean channel in the Roadster (the same of Lone Star and Road King 2) is supposed to be the best clean tone achieved by mesa, as they state.

I can say from my experiment with the Roadster,Roadking2 and Lonestar that difference lies in the open back/C-90.The cleans are identical in the Roadster/Roadking2 through the same cab and speaker.So to achieve the Roadking2 cleans with the Roadster you need the head or order a combo with C-90 open.The King has speaker/cab switching in combo and cab. You can also run a Roadster with a Roadking cab without being able to switch speakers on the fly.You would have to unplug your speaker cab cord to the speaker of choice.The Roadster/King cleans are not exactly the same as the Lonestar but close enough to my ears. (C-90 open)

I've got a few clips at www.guitartest.moonfruit.com of the Roadster doing a few different styles. I used a Telecaster with pretty "flat" sounding pickups...... I recently put new pickups in my tele and it sounds 10 times better IMO. FYI, they were Lindy Fralin Blues Special pickups.

Yes, the Roadster has the same clean channels as the Road King II, which is the Lone Star clean voicing, but the RK II can use EL-34s or a combination of 6L6+EL34, which are different. When set in 2 or 4 6L6 mode, though, it's the same.

To answer a later post in this thread, my friends at Mesa/Boogie feel, and our editorial staff agree, that the Lone Star has the finest sounding clean ever produced in a Mesa/Boogie amplifier. Hence, the Roadster and RK II share this delicious clean voice.

Scott

Latest posts

Back