mesa roadking help!

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jack3331

Reaction score
alright so i got a mesa roadking v2 acouple weeks back and i got it just the way i want it to sound. however today i realised that if i actully sit down so that i am in direct path of the speakers... it sounded like crap. i always play standing above the speakers so ive never noticed it by when you actually listen to the sound comming out it kinda sucks( the tone is very raspy and fuzzy sounding, however clean channel is alright) i know that sound changes depending on a multitude of factors and that if i continue to play the way i have then it wont bother me, but if i ever need to mic this amp for a show or recording, its gonna suck. im running the head into a mesa 2x12 cab. any1 have any sugestions

What you're describing is normal. You can try some Weber Beam Blockers on your cab to take that directional spike out but keep in mind, you're playing a Rectifier. They are typically fizzy. It's why I ended up selling my RKII.

My feeling is that you may have just dialed in when you were off axis with the speakers which cause you to go a lil heavier on the treble/ presence to compensate.

Try dialing it in while you are on axis with the speaker....I play a Roadster out live all the time....it only gets fizzy if I dial it that way. Wacth your gain and presence settings as a start.

The Eq possiblities are vast on this amp...between 50 w / 100 w setting, different rectifier choices and very responisve tone controls...you can dial in anything from sweet blues crunch to high gain screams.

CudBucket said:
What you're describing is normal. You can try some Weber Beam Blockers on your cab to take that directional spike out but keep in mind, you're playing a Rectifier. They are typically fizzy. It's why I ended up selling my RKII.

These will work, but I made my own out of corregated cardboard, painted black to blend in behind grill, attached with ty wraps, works great!

Also I find its better to mic a little off axis, near edge of speaker cone.

Remember, the audience is usually far enough away that this is not nearly as much an issue for them.

You will be fine....trust the force.... :D

jack3331 said:
today i realised that if i actully sit down so that i am in direct path of the speakers... it sounded like crap. i always play standing above the speakers so ive never noticed it by when you actually listen to the sound comming out it kinda sucks( the tone is very raspy and fuzzy sounding, however clean channel is alright) i know that sound changes depending on a multitude of factors

A lot of this is caused by the "amplitude" or loudness of the amp's overall volume setting and the size and "sound" of the room your in. This is why "bedroom" volume sound differs greatly from "rehearsal" volume sound. To really get that "studio recorded" tone, first off the amp needs to be setup so it pushes some air and sounds good. It doesn't have to be cranked for this to happen but generally should be pushed pass the "bedroom" volume stage. Tall ceilings also help and never put a guitar cab next to a wall as you'll hear more "low end" tone which isn't real, just caused by the effect of being so close to the wall(proximity effect).

There are quite a few factors besides these also. That's why amp simulators and plugins are so popular. They remove the factors you are hearing like room size, reflections, frequency cancellation, etc....

Back