Mesa Road King vs. Roadster

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spanny

Reaction score
I currentally have a Mesa Roadster, but I'm not all too happy with the clean on it. How would you compare the Roadster to the Road King Series 2?

If I'm not mistaken, the series 1 is the same as the Roadster.

IIRC i'm pretty sure the roadster has the lone star clean channel which is what the road king II has. What are you not happy about the clean channel on the roadster? I'm lovin mine....

cjae said:
IIRC i'm pretty sure the roadster has the lone star clean channel which is what the road king II has. What are you not happy about the clean channel on the roadster? I'm lovin mine....

cj is right the roadster has the same cleans as the RK II, so if you dont dig the roadsters cleans you wont dig the rk's unless if using el34s would make a difference which to me would actually make the cleans less clean.... what dont you like about the cleans? i know its been mentioned thousands of times but try an eq in the loop and possibly even a clean boost in front

I am using a PRS ce24 straight into it minus a tuner, then have an echo pro and mod pro in the efx loop. even with nothing int he efx loop, it feel it just breaks up way to quickly and not smooth.

what are your settings on your clean channel? (what mode, eq settings, etc...)

I use a PRS ce22 and i use a ts9dx to hit the preamp, so i usually have to use a single coil and drop my guitar's volume a bit to get a perfectly clean sound...but i also use the tweed setting on ch 1, so i am not surprised if i still get a bit of breakup...i just chalk it up as giving the song 'character' and go with it

spanny said:
I am using a PRS ce24 straight into it minus a tuner, then have an echo pro and mod pro in the efx loop. even with nothing int he efx loop, it feel it just breaks up way to quickly and not smooth.

i'm assuming channel 1 but what are your settings as far as wattage, tubes, circuit (clean, fat, tweed)? for super clean i find channel 1 on clean setting, 100 watts with the gain at 10, volume at 12, treble at 1, mids at 10:30, bass at 12, and presence at 1..... then use you output and turn up until you hit the sweet spot.... ive found unless your playing at a decent volume (not bedroom levels) the clean just sparkles..... also a clean boost in front will help...... what kind of cab are you running the roadster into?

I love the clean on the Roadster, I did go through the manual and try the pre-sets but ended up on a "custom" one just from those. 100w to 50w is a big difference so try switching that as well.

The bridge pup on the PRS 24 fret models is very powerful, way more powerful than the PRS 22's even, to get good clean tones you have to use positions 2 or 4 (single coils) or at least back off the volume on the guitar a fair bit.

I also would look at the pickups as being part of the situation. I'm directly referring to the pickup height.

You may end up having to compromise you're preferred height for distorted tones to achieve a suitable clean tone when using the same guitar for both.

i'd use the neck pickup and keep it pretty low for a good clean tone. 100W mode wont be much louder, but will have more clean head room.

I have a series 1 RK and I can dial nice Twin like cleans with my Les Paul. Not too sure if it's much different than the series 2.

AFAIC, if you think the cleans break up too easily there's either something wrong with the amp or, you don'tt know how to set up the clean channel. This is one of Mesa's best clean channels ever so I'm going to guess it's either user-error or a problem with the amp.

People have asked for your settings and you haven't responded. So, I'm guessing you may not be willing to share them. :?:

Latest posts

Back