Mesa Rectoverb Head Issue

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nickm0110

Reaction score
Hey Everyone, I'm hoping someone can help me with my problem with my head. Here is what happened....

We were having practice in the garage and it was pretty hot. Lets say 90 outside and the garage had no air conditioning. The head was working great for about 30 minutes or so. After that, the output from the speakers started crackling and the volume reduced about 50%. So I turned off the head thinking it was overheating. Waited around 10-15 minutes and turned it back on. It work for about 4 minutes or so and it did the same thing.

At this point I was thinking maybe there was a bad tube. So I replaced both 6l6's and all 5 of the other tubes. Turned it on and it no longer makes the crackling noise but the volume won't turn up very loud still. I have no idea what the problem is. We've tried different cables, cabs, guitars, and nothing seems to work.

The only thing I haven't replaced is the fuse by where the AC plug goes. So maybe that could cause something like this?

Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem could be or have you ever heard of anything like this? If you could please post a reply I would appreciate it a ton. I will be checking back often

My AOL Instant Messenger (AIM) is NicKm0110

Thanks so much,

Nick Moore

nickm0110 said:
At this point I was thinking maybe there was a bad tube. So I replaced both 6l6's and all 5 of the other tubes. Turned it on and it no longer makes the crackling noise but the volume won't turn up very loud still. I have no idea what the problem is. We've tried different cables, cabs, guitars, and nothing seems to work.

The only thing I haven't replaced is the fuse

Definately not the fuse...if it were bad, the amp would not turn on at all.

Still sounds like a tube to me. Just because a tube is new doesnt necessarily mean its good. Look at the 6L6's while you're playing and see if the plates are glowing red. If they are shut down immediately and change them.

If that's not the problem, most likely you have a bad solder joint somewhere, or some intermittent open/short that acts up when the amp gets hot. If you're not comfortable doing this kind of work, take it to a tech.... there are dangerously high voltages present in the amp, even if it is turned off and unplugged.

Latest posts

Back