Mesa or ENGL?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pierce34celtic

Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade my amp setup. I'm into thrash, power, and classic
metal, as well as some modern stuff. I currently have two LTDs equipped with
EMGs, and an Ibanez Prestige with stock pups. I'm looking for something with a
nice clean channel, and something for heavy chunky rhythms and a great lead
channel. I was thinking of a Mesa Mark series, DC series, or possibly a Rect-o-verb.

In addition, I've received recomendations for the ENGL Blackmore and Fireball, however, I am not too sure about the Blackmore being 4 channels with shared EQ. Some tones I'm looking for are Metallica, Testament, Slayer, Black Label Society, Nevermore, and some good clean tones as well, that could be slightly boosted for a nice bluesy tone as well.

What would be best? Any sound clips/info/reviews would be great.

Mesa for sure in my book more than half the band 's you listed use boogies.

I played a powerball and i wasn't impressed, as far as the fireball i don't know the engl blackmore sounded good but not MESA GOOD

i'd go mark IV while i love the 2 channel recto and it does everything for me it sounds like you'd be happy with the mark IV,

You're coming to a Boogie forum asking Mesa vs. ENGL? :lol:

Anyway, either a Rectifier or Mark III/IV is the preferred metal amp. Either would get the job done, as both amps are commonly used in metal. They are just different.

I was on the market for a new amp...

First, a rectifier is NOT for you.

Next...I played an ENGL...very well built amps, with great features, but the tone was lacking to me...to linear and sterile.

That is where the Mesa excels....a Mark IV has a much more exciting tone.

ibanez4life SZ! said:
I was on the market for a new amp...

First, a rectifier is NOT for you.

Next...I played an ENGL...very well built amps, with great features, but the tone was lacking to me...to linear and sterile.

That is where the Mesa excels....a Mark IV has a much more exciting tone.
+1. The mark iv is an oasis of tone.

Each day i find a new settings better than the last. And when i think i got the best/perfect one i get a new one thats even better. nothing better than that feeling.

Mesa Mark IV brother. I was incredibly close to buying a Powerball in May but a little combo amp in the corner of a shop caught my eye. I sit down infront of this little Mark IV contraption and it nailed every single sound I had in my head. Now mind you I play music like Dream Theater, Exodus, Testament, Megadeth, Vinnie Moore, Racer X, Alice in Chains, etc. This amp nailed them all. From that moment on I knew the Mark IV was my future amp. I got a short head and couldn't be happier, well maybe if I had a second thiele I would be, but I can wait on that 8) . If you want to play death metal just get a DS-1 infront of the Mark IV and you are set. This amp is spectacular!

If you can try out both a Mark IV and a Recto, they are very different beasts. I love them both and I understand why some people prefer the Mark IV over the Recto, but don't count out a Recto just because others say the Mark IV is for you. The Recto will give you the balls to the wall grind, a beautiful clean channel, and another channel for whatever you want (smooth lead, secondary rhythm, blues). The Mark IV is gonna give you a more refined sound and amazing lead tones, but won't be nearly as aggressive as the Recto.

Mark III and IV are the sounds I had in my head, if that helps you out at all. I'm basically done searching for amps. Maybe a Marshall's in my future for that sound, and maybe a DRRI for that sound, but my "tone" is a Boogie.

As far as ENGLs go, the SE's are the way to go as far as having an amp chock full of tone..... probably the most versitile amp on the market as far as functions (16 modes, full midi system, stores 128 amp settings)..... awesome sounding amp.... goes from clean to completely face melting brutal and everything in between.... to me combines the sounds of the mark iv and rectos all in one package..... the only thing is it runs about 3500 new but you can find new ones in the 2200-2800 range .....if you have the money its well worth it......if not in the recto realm go with the roadster and in the mark realm go with the mark iv......all 3 are killer amps you juts have to find the one that is fit for you both sonically and financially

Before buying my new amp in 1998 i've tried an Engl Anniversary Edition (a 120 Watts Head) during 2 months.
Just after that, i've tried a MarkIV Head, it was a day and nigth difference tonewise between these 2 amps. The MarkIV is far, far away better, more "Organic" sounding, Smoother distortion, Crystal like clean sound... the perfect amp about me.
So, i've bougth a MarkIV Short Head and never looking for another amp since then !

Just traded my Blackmore for a Mark IV, the Engl is nice, BUT nowhere near the same ballpark, for Tone, Feel and Flexability.

Buy the Mark IV, it is quite possibly the perfect amp.

Rampage said:
If you want to play death metal just get a DS-1 infront of the Mark IV and you are set. This amp is spectacular!
I don't think you need a distortion in front of it at all. Death metal in my opinion needs a lot less gain than thrash, so you better run the gain very low, so you get a lamb of god-alike sound.

Had a mark III and IV, have a RK and an Engl SE and I have to say that nothing that mesa makes is as metal as the Engl. My next choice would be channel 4 on the road king+ an OD2.mark IV isn't even in the picture.

I got hooked on the ENGL hype about a year ago and bought a Savage 120. It's an awesome amp, but it just didn't do it for me. I sold it and switched back to MESA. I've had a 2 Channel Recto, a 3 Channel Recto, a TriAxis/2:90 combo, a Mark IV, and my most recent boogie is a DC-5. While I'm not a fan of the Rectos, the Mark IV and the DC-5 are just awesome amps. The Mark IV has a nicer clean channel and is more versatile than the DC-5...but the DC-5 has more low end and low mids. It's also a little grittier sounding than the Mark IV. To me, it's like the perfect blend of a Recto and a Mark IV. They're also really cheap. I sold my ENGL for $1,800 and bought my DC-5 for $800 and honestly like the DC more.

Nitrobattery said:
I got hooked on the ENGL hype about a year ago and bought a Savage 120. It's an awesome amp, but it just didn't do it for me. I sold it and switched back to MESA. I've had a 2 Channel Recto, a 3 Channel Recto, a TriAxis/2:90 combo, a Mark IV, and my most recent boogie is a DC-5. While I'm not a fan of the Rectos, the Mark IV and the DC-5 are just awesome amps. The Mark IV has a nicer clean channel and is more versatile than the DC-5...but the DC-5 has more low end and low mids. It's also a little grittier sounding than the Mark IV. To me, it's like the perfect blend of a Recto and a Mark IV. They're also really cheap. I sold my ENGL for $1,800 and bought my DC-5 for $800 and honestly like the DC more.
I saw a DC-10 for $899.99 at my local GC, Could it handle metal tones as well as nice cleans? What makes it most different from the Mark IV? Does it have all the power settings and switches as the Mark IV?

Man it is funny how things work. This thread rekindled my interest in Engl and I am pretty sure my current setup is going to be going back up on the chopping block to provide for a Powerball and recto cab. It is what I initially set out for and I will probably end up with it.

Back