mesa noob. dc-10 questions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rottingcorpse

Reaction score
please be gentle. i am both a mesa noob, and computer illiterate.

i have a BUNCH of high gain heads (engl,framus,laboga,madison,randall,marshall,etc) and finally scored me a mesa cheap from a friend. still trying to find a recto cheap to add to the collection.

most of my heads are plug and play (for thrash style metal) and have more gain than needed. the ones that don't have a built in gate only need an isp decimator in the loop to get the pre-amp hiss out and quiet them down a little. so my questions are as such....

who here, who play heavier forms of metal, use something in front of the dc-10's to add a little "oomph" to their sound? or are you using something in the loop? what is it your using? should i throw a tube screamer (or like product, i.e. overdrive set with the output up and the gain down) to bang the front of the amp? or do you use an e.q pedal? wanna keep the signal chain from my amp splitter as simple as possible so i can hear several different flavors of amps at once. and i really dont want to color the tones of the amps much.

i am on the road right now, and wont be home for another couple of weeks. wanna try to score whatever i might need off ebay so it will be there when i get home. wanna be able to pug the amp in and not be saying "well, gotta score (insert pedal) so i can try again next time i am home".

the only pedals i have are decimators (i run 4 amps at once, so i have several noise gates). i don't have an assortment of overdrives or e.q. pedals.

thanks for your help. the corpse.

The other guitarist in my band uses a DC-10, and uses nothing in front, nothing in back. Just plugs his SG in and lets it rip. I use a .50Cal+ with nothing in front except a Wah. These amps have a lot of gain even on 10, maybe not as much as a 5150, Framus, Engl, but it's super usable and has a clarity the other amps don't have.

not sure what type of music you play, from your name I'd guess death metal, but we play thrash, check out our myspace link (pasadena napalm division), DRI meets DeadHorse.

I cant play my DC 10 without some sort of overdrive (doesnt really matter which one... gain zero, volume maxed) in FRONT. A plain old tubescreamer does the job very well. Tightens the bottom, kills the flub and adds more gain! Wahoo!

Latest posts

Back