Mesa Mark IV Combo at a local guitar store

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lt_Core

Reaction score
Hey guys,

At one of our local stores they had a mint Mark IV combo with road case for $1750. The tag says Vintage 80's but the Mark IV's didn't come out until 1990, right? It has the original Mesa tag but the first couple hand-written serial numbers are smudged. Where is the serial number located on the actual amp?

I played through it with a LP Studio. It sounded great. My only Mesa experience is with my F-50. This Mark IV has the tan jute grill and a darker brown wood than the picture here:

http://mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Mark_Series/Mark_IV/mark_iv.html

How do I tell them that they overpriced it? ;) Seriously, this place does not get good gear like this, ever. I would trade my F-50 and a guitar in on this baby. Beautiful!

It's easy enough to tell a store their gear is overpriced, say something like "nice amp, I'll give you $x for it". Haggling with music stores is just part of the process. Offer them a little less than you'd actually pay for it, that way they can counter your offer, lets them feel better about themselves :twisted:
If it's been sitting there long enough, or your the only one showing interest in it, they'll hop on the offer, they usually paid half (if not less) for what they're asking for it.

Are there different flavors of the Mark IV? Sorry if this is a newbie question. Do most people use just 6L6's or the 6L6/EL34 combo?

I prefer using el34 in the outside tubes, but I've always liked the feel of them. Some people prefer all 6L6's, it's all about the sound and feel of them. It's a very cool mix between both of them though, especially when you can push the power amp.

How do you tell the difference between a Mark IVA and IVB? Trying to learn all I can about these babies.

The MkIVa has two separate FX loops while the B version has a single loop with stereo returns and the satellite outputs next to it. If you're looking at a hardwood cab and a decent road case $1700. is a great deal for an A or B. Especially if its a mid 90's B with the EV speaker in it. Where did you say it was again? 8)

Restless Rocks said:
The MkIVa has two separate FX loops while the B version has a single loop with stereo returns and the satellite outputs next to it. If you're looking at a hardwood cab and a decent road case $1700. is a great deal for an A or B. Especially if its a mid 90's B with the EV speaker in it. Where did you say it was again? 8)

The speaker is a Black Shadow, pretty sure of that. Are there pics on the IVa and IVb back panel so I can compare? Thanks!

MIDI control only remembers what channel, right? Not settings for each channel?

Latest posts

Back