Mesa Makeover

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amrose57

Reaction score
Posted this on TGP, but it needs to be here as well. I've got a Studio Caliber, and it's black. Since I like to be different (my Express 5:25+ head is orange) I figured I needed to do a makeover. Here it is now, with new tolex:

Al

Bugeyed Earl said:
Very nice! My Studio .22+ is looking a little tatty, I've been thinking about recovering it if I can decide on a color...

If you do a belt sander is necessary or you'll be sanding for days. When you pull off the tolex the glue and cloth backing will stay. Mesa makes sure the tolex will never come off. With the belt sander it took about 30 minutes and 5 belts of #80 grit to get down to bare wood.

Al

dodger916 said:
That's some serious sanding, Al. Pretty tough stuff!

Indeed, but 100% necessary if you want it to look right. The right tools for the job.... :D

Al

Old BF Shred said:
Looks very nice!
A couple questions: what did you use as an adhesive?
and...did you consider using a chemical paint stripper to remove the old glue? Not that I have tried this but just curious.

Take care! :)

I used 3M-90 Super spray glue. Works really good as long as you coat both surfaces AND let it get tacky. I thought about a stripper for the old glue, but figured it would be messy (I have stripped paint off a desk before and boy, what a mess) and the sander would be quicker. Took 30 minutes or so, and 5 belts. Maybe a total of 4 hrs work. not too bad.

Al

Latest posts

Back