Mesa F-50 Combo with HOTPLATE?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doom

Reaction score
I run my F-50 combo direct a lot of the time and I like the tone. Much better than any modeler, and I've tried everything. Just curious if a Hotplate or other attenuator would make a big difference in sound vs going direct? I know you can go direct out of the Hotplate too.

You can get a little more tone from your power tubes at lower volumes, however, you won't be pushing your speaker nearly as hard, so there is a small trade off. Some guys think that the Hot Plate constricts their amp, but if you are looking for decent bedroom level tones, it does a pretty fair job.

For going direct, I much prefer a Hot Plate on my F-100 over using the recording output.

This setup is similar to what I use, except with my F-100 in place of the Valvetech VAC 22:

hal9000ValvetechSilentRecordingSetu.png

The beauty of this setup is I get post power amp FX from the XTL and I have many different cab sims to choose from.

As far as using the Hot Plate in a live situation it worked well for me up to -12 dB. I use it at home much more now since I've been using a G-Major in my F-100's loop that takes care of giving me good low volume performance. You can also try this setup below for getting great low volume tone:

hal9000F-SeriesMixPotMasterRevB.jpg

If you already have something in the loop, look to see if the device has an overall master. IMO, the trick to getting great low volume performance from the F-series, is to get the red channel master over 9:00 and preferably to 10:00, then reduce the overall level in the loop so the volume is manageable.

Back