Mesa Express 5:50 1x12 Channel 2 Only Hiss

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dalandser

Reaction score
Hello,

How's everyone doing? I have a strange situation. I'm using the 5:50 I just bought used in great condition on the 5 watt mode with the blues channel 2 setting as my "clean" and the channel 1 crunch setting as my distortion. I noticed that even though the gain is at 9 o'clock and the master volume is on two o'clock for the blues channel 2 setting, there is a loud hiss compared to the cruch channel 1 setting with more gain (maybe around 12-2), even when I match the master volume at 2 o'clock. I don't know enough about these amps to know if this is part of the circuit causing this or if it could be a bad tube only affecting one of the channels. What do you think? I play at church and this is too loud of a hiss to be acceptable so I'll have to switch to channel 1 (which most people complain about more I've found for hiss - but on my amp it is A-OK) before I stop playing / between songs.

Also, there is a loud pop when I turn off the amp. I tried turning the masters down and the reverbs down for each channel and turning it off, but it's still there. I've had this on a couple tube amps in the past, but I was wondering if there's any secret for avoiding this. It's not anything unacceptable, but a bit distracting. By switching it off, I mean switching the standby switch to "off" while the main power switch is still "on."

Have a great day!

- Anthony

Latest posts

Back