Mesa Express 5:25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_iggi

Reaction score
I am new to tube amps and just recently started my journey with a Traynor 15:50-watt amp.

It is pretty versatile, which I like because I mainly play covers, but way too much power when using the 50-watt output.

I am positive I need something less than 30-watt... otherwise, I am not saturating the tubes enough for the tone I want. However, I play in a trio with a small drum kit and I also need the versatility.

The Express 5:25 appears to be what I need and I would like to get your comments about these amps.

A lot of what I play is gritty clean... so I do need some headroom. However, I figured I can always get a good cab with 12in speakers for the 5:25 if it is missing the headroom I need.

I know the new 5:25 comes with a 12in speaker... but it is also more expensive. Maybe the best alternative is to get the 10in version plus a good-sized 12in cab.

Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks!

I tried a 5:25 1 x 10 and found it to sound small and boxy compared to the 5:50 1 x 12 and Lonestar Sepecial 1 x 12 that I tried.

I ended up buying the 5:50.

I imagine that the 5:25 1 x 12 will not sound small and boxy at all.

Keep in mind, that all else being equall, a 25 watt amp will be only 3% quieter than a 50 watt amp. Not much.
The 10" speaker in the 5:25 will make it a little quieter than that.

If you plug the 5:25 into a 2 x 12 cabinet, it will probably be louder than a similarly designed and rated 50 watt amp that has 1 x 12 speaker.

In fact a 25 watt amp will be louder than a 50 watt amp if the speaker in the 50 watt amp is more than 3db less effecient.

I've found that these amps sound very good, even at lower volume levels. I suppose that's due to well designed master volume schemes as well as the fact that the signature Boogie lead tone is derived from pre-amp distortion rather than power amp distortion.

Keep in mind that, although I am a 25+ year veteran with tube amps, I am only a 10 day veteran with Mesa/Boogies.

I just bought my 5:50 last week!

Don said:
Keep in mind that, although I am a 25+ year veteran with tube amps, I am only a 10 day veteran with Mesa/Boogies.

I just bought my 5:50 last week!

Thanks for the reply Don. Given that you are a tube veteran let me ask you a follow up question.

The 5:25 or 5:50 appear to be very versatile amps. I do, however, appreciate the simplicity of a one-trick pony with outstanding, unique tone.

I am being offered an Atom Metroliner Combo at a "killer" price... just slightly over the price of the 5:50.

Do you think the extra dough is worth it for the Atom? What about
the Atom at bedroom levels? I would like the flexibility to use it
as a practice amp as well. Are these amps even comparable?

The 5:25 or 5:50 appear to be very versatile amps. I do, however, appreciate the simplicity of a one-trick pony with outstanding, unique tone.

The 5:25 is an awesome amp -- I bought one last year -- but if you do rely on a single signature tone, you'd do best to look elsewhere.

In my view, the best features of the 5:25 include its small, portable size, its 5/25 watt switch, and its outstanding versatility: it does cover a lot of ground really well.

If you are willing to spend twice as much on a higher-end Boogie or boutique amp, you could probably do better. But the stripped-down 5:25 delivers a lot for its size and price. I'm a hobby player, so for me it was an ideal, almost-does-everything entry-level Boogie.

I don't consider a good, simple, single channel amp to be a one trick pony.

I have a beautiful tweed Deluxe (5E3) clone that I can get some great sounds out of.

I set it up dirty and clean it up with the guitar's volume control. I also use a fuzz box with it and do the same thing. I can go from clean to overdriven to dirty, all with the fuzz on, just be adjusting the guitar's volume control.
I can get, rockabilly, blues, r&b, classic rock (through the '70s), etc... with it.

It cost me half of what I just paid for the 5:50.

In that respect, the simple amp is almost as versatile as my 5:50.

I would not have the 5:50 if I had to part with that amp or my Vibrolux Reverb to buy it.

I bought my 5:25 in April of last year. I live in the city. Carrying a 85lb monstrousity is a thing of the past for me. I wanted something small, portable, and had the tone of mix between a Vox and Fender.

I feel the 5:25 has those qualities. It is the easiest pick up and go amp. I can dial any tone I want out of it, but keep in mind I use a few pedals. My AC Booster + and OCD help out quite a bit on the front.

I have yet to be disappointed with the tone. I also have other players asking me how I get such a big sound from such a little amp!

cottoneyedjoe said:
I have yet to be disappointed with the tone. I also have other players asking me how I get such a big sound from such a little amp!

I hear ya!

I tested a few amps over a couple of days and ended up getting the 5:25 10in. Pretty hard to beat the combination of weight, size, tone, versatility, and price when all things considered.

I am not looking for a particular signature sound, which makes the 5:25 pretty much the perfect amp for what I do. And so far it has been friendly to my pedals.

I ordered a Weber attenuator to be able to punish the tubes for bedroom practice. And am considering 12AT7 tubes in the first and second positions to reduce the hiss of such a crowded amp package.

So far, I am very happy with the 5:25.

I am floored by the clean sound of these amps.

So far I have used my 5:50 1 X 12 at a classic rock type jam session and, last night to jam with my singer/harp player friend.

My Telecaster on the clean channel with some reverb sounded great jamming along to songs from the first Butterfield Blues Band album. It had a similar sound and feel as Mike Bloomfield's guitar on the record.

Channel 2 set to Blues with the gain granked was just right for dirtier sounds.

I was able to adjust my tone, volume and dirt with the guitar's volume control.

I'm really enjoying this amp.

I've also noticed that the hiss that I hear when I use this amp alone in my studio is not an issue when I'm with other people, especially when I have a Telecaster plugged in.

Two questions:

1) has anybody tried using a noise gate or hum de-bugger on the Express to cancel the high-gain hum?

2) Cottoneyedjoe, I'm curious about your use of the OCD in front of the amp. Are you using it to overdrive the clean channel? And/or to tighten up the overdrive tone? How does the Express like the OCD?

Don said:
I've also noticed that the hiss that I hear when I use this amp alone in my studio is not an issue when I'm with other people, especially when I have a Telecaster plugged in.

Yes, this is only an "issue" when playing at home. When playing with other people, you do not even notice it.

I ended up swapping the first 12AX7 for a 12AT7 and that reduced the hiss considerably. The gain also dropped a bit, but nothing than my Bixonic Expandora cannot compensate for. I do not think I will change the 12AX7 in the second position.

So far... I still love this little amp :)

Steve P said:
1) has anybody tried using a noise gate or hum de-bugger on the Express to cancel the high-gain hum?

The hiss is due to preamp tubes in a crowed space. Pedals like the ones you mentioned will not help. The only "solution" is the use lower wattage tubes in the first and second positions.

I changed the tube in the first position and that was enough for me. Have in mind that this is not a "problem"... it is the nature of the beast. It only bothers me when I play in the bedroom... when playing with other people I do not notice it.

Steve P said:
2) Cottoneyedjoe, I'm curious about your use of the OCD in front of the amp. Are you using it to overdrive the clean channel? And/or to tighten up the overdrive tone? How does the Express like the OCD?

I do not have an OCD... but the Express 5:25 appears to take pedals quite well.

I tried myself to swap the tube around V1 & V2 and if I was able to get a better noise floor, I was missing that deep & fat warm clean on clean channel and having gain at 12h & +. So, for now I didn't found better compromise than stock tube.
I'm using also a Fulltone FD2 mosfet in front and it is fine, and rather like to keep my VPjr volume pedal into the loop since less coloration, but still that having the guitar going straight into the grid; hard to beat! :D

Does the noise "issue" show itself more in the 5:25? I didn't seem to notice it on the 5:50, even with the gain cranked.

rwil said:
I tried myself to swap the tube around V1 & V2 and if I was able to get a better noise floor, I was missing that deep & fat warm clean on clean channel and having gain at 12h & +. So, for now I didn't found better compromise than stock tube.

V1 takes care of channel 1 2nd gain and channel 2 3rd gain stages. V2 takes care of 1st gain stage and 2nd stage overdrive.

Try going with the 12AT7 only in V1 and see if that is warm enough for you. I was able to dial in a great clean tone with considerably less hiss (V1 12AT7, V2 stock 12AX7).

I do not know if there is a big difference between brands, but I am using the 12AT7 from Electro Harmonix.

I thought it was power amp hiss.

If the hiss is caused by the the pre-amp, it's after the tone controls. Turning all three tone controls all the way down mutes the amp except for the hiss.

dr_iggi said:
Try going with the 12AT7 only in V1 and see if that is warm enough for you. I was able to dial in a great clean tone with considerably less hiss (V1 12AT7, V2 stock 12AX7).

I do not know if there is a big difference between brands, but I am using the 12AT7 from Electro Harmonix.

The tube that I tried was a Electro Harmonix 12AX7EH and another one having no name but from a Presonus preamp.
Yup, big differences between brands/models
There's a link somewhere in the forum about a suggested kit for the 5:50, but it is possible to get the same kit with/without the power tubes. So I think it is here:
http://www.dougstubes.com/ampkits.html#m1

Latest posts

Back