Mesa EL34 STR-447 vs. Groove Tubes GT EL34 M

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swbo101

Reaction score
Just wondering if anyone has tried either or both and say which they found to like more.

Thanks

I have tried the groove tubes el34s inthe outer sockets of my mark IVb compact combo w/ 200 watt ev black shadow speaker. I totally dug how they sounded, smooth harmonic content. sustained notes and chords rang sweetly and smoothly in to feedback. Trouble was, they did not last very long/ 3 matched pairs in a little over a year. And at about 50 bucks a pair i was done with the gt el34s. I do have a pair sovtek el34s, rated at 5 which I have had for about 8 years now, that I used for back ups and have been using as my mains in the outer sockets for the last 3 years. Just got them tested and they are still within op specs. They only cost me 25 bucks and they sound pretty good to my ears. Haven't tried the mesa el34 str-447s. IMHO the groove tubes el34s kick ***, they just didn't last too long. I personally need to do a bit more experimenting with diffrent tubes b-4 I give out any more advice. But thought this might help :D

I borrowed from a friend a duet of the GT EL34 M (rated 4) to try in my Stiletto Ace combo. The low end was rounded and softer, somewhat muddy and looser compared to the Mesa STR-447 which I think are compressed and harsh. On the other hand I tried the GT E34L's (rated 6) and these have so much clarity and punch. The low end is super tight and hits you hard while taking off some of the harsh highs. These are staying in my Stiletto!

I can't specifically attest to the GT EL-34s (haven't used them in 15 years), but the Mesa ones have lasted me FOREVER. No, seriously...we're talking fully functional, noise-free operation for nearly 10 years. And not just low volume/low impact use, but super saturated, master volume at 7 w/ Power Brake abuse. Did they lose their crispness long ago? Yeah, probably, but without microphonics or instability. If the average life of a power tube is a year and a half, I've had better than average results from Mesa's stock tubes.

Latest posts

Back