Mesa Dual Recto Revision what? Tube issues/comparison

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

volkair

Reaction score
Hey...

may somebody help me? I own an old 2Ch-Dual Rectifier. His Serial Number is R0743 and I wonder what revision this Amp is?

I tried to find more information, but it was useless and disappointing. The only information I found, is that Rev. F is about Serial Numbers 2k +. How important are the differences in sound between the revisions?

Thanks a lot!

P.s. what kind of Powertubes would be recommended? Now I have JJ 6L6 inside, but I´m looking forward to =c=, but they are much more expensive. What´s about mixing JJ Power with Chinese Preamp-Tubes? Now a Shuguang Ecc83 High Grade sits in V1 and a Sovtek 12Ax7 wc in V2, the rest ist stock Mesa 12Ax7.- Seems to be a bit more tight low end compared to fully Mesa stock or a TAD RT030 (think a Czech one).

yours, Volkair

I do believe you have a revision E. I used to have one as well. Great sounding amp.

As for power tubes, the Winged =C= 6L6 are awesome and are worth the $$$. For a cheaper alternative, the Electro-Harmonix 6L6 is a fantastic sounding tube as well.

And I am not at all a fan of the JJ preamp tubes. Again, Electro-Harmonix preamp tubes are a great starting point and sound very good, but be sure to have a chinese tube in the V3 position for the follower.

Hope that helps.

I'm with Fluff....Rev. E.

A lot of people tend to find the JJ preamps tubes too dark. Basically, it's trial and error...what sounds good to one person may be too dark/bright for another. There's not really a be-all-end-all for preamp tubes, or power tubes for that matter.

You have a Revision F. The first accounted for F I have documented is 635.

F's are nice because they have the first usable clean channel out of the 2 channel rectifiers. It also has the same tonal qualities as its predecessors, except it is just slightly not as tight as a C, D, or E. If you wanted to get it closer to a C or D you could just get an overdrive pedal.

Latest posts

Back