Mesa Dual Rec Pre-500 Revision C vs. Dual Rec Racktifier

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zakmetal

Reaction score
Ok guys,
So I have a Mesa Dual Rec Racktifier that has been modded by Voodoo Amps. It was re-tubed, recapped, Standard modded, and True Serial FX loop modded. After the mods it at first seemed more clear and more powerful. All the knobs seem to respond more from change than previously. However, now after having the amp for a while the initial good feelings about the amp have worn off. Its almost like when you hear a BBE maximizer, at first its cool, but you quickly realize it sucked your tone right out of your amp. I seem to remember liking my amp more before the mods. :( The gain just seems so fizzy now, in a bad way.

Anyway, I am considering getting one of the original Dual Rec Heads, Pre-500 serial, revision C. I have heard that they are much better sounding amps.

Does anyone have any experience with either of these amps? The original duals are semi rare and its not like I can just go down to my local guitar store and play one. I have always wanted a Diezel Herbert but they are far out of my price range. Should I get the Early Dual, or just save for a Diezel? :?

Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks dudes.
-Zak-

Those Racktifiers are SICK amps...it's sad that you had it modded in the first place...IMO, they sound just as good, if not better than the original rectos.

I'd try to get the mod reversed...the amp you have is a SERIOUS tone machine.

Eric

The tone difference will not be dramatic between both amps. The C will be brighter and have a more urgent attack/tightness, but it's not as dramatic as the difference between a 2 channel and a 3 channel. The C will also have a less usable clean channel compared to your racktifier.

Ultimately it's up to you. I'd go for it if you like pure recto tone, and want it enhanced. But if you're talking about fizz and whatnot, my suspicion is you've outgrown the recto and may need a Mark.

Never understood how anyone could have a 2 Channel modded. My 2 Channel is perfection in total stock form.

Latest posts

Back