Mesa Dc-5 Amp Speaker Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guitarmaniac

Reaction score
Hi; I bought a used Mesa DC-5 50 watt off of ebay.I'm not sure how old it is,other than it is in like new condition.How do I know what speaker I have,it doesn't seem to have any markings on the back except for a serial number.It doesn't say celestion or EVM.Did they make umarked speakers?

Any help would be appreciated.Does anybody know if Mesa amps ever came with speakers that have no noticeable brand/type etc. markings on the back of the magnet?

There should be a code or a number stamped or printed on the ring of the speaker. It may be on the magnet, or on one of the side supports, but it should be there.

Here is a great site for cross referencing.

http://www.webervst.com/codes.html

If there is no code, you can call Mesa Monday - Thursday.

Monsta-Tone,thanks so much for the reply and link.The only numbers on the back of the speaker are SRO287
Does this mean anything to you? I don't seem to see it listed on the manuf code link you gave me,unless I totally missed it.

I don't know too much about speakers.

I prefer new speakers over vintage ones in my Fenders. I use Webers exclusively and keep the vintage ones in the Weber boxes for resale value.

I have a Weber Thames in my DC-5 that is absolutely incredible, very clean, clear & concise.

I think I responded to another thread that you started about getting more focus out of your DC-5. If tubes don't do it, call Ted Weber, www.tedweber.com.

He knows more about speakers that Jensen & Celestion combined. He could probably identify your speaker's code.

At the very least, he can recommend a replacement based on the tones that you are looking for. Like I said, I use the Thames 12" in my DC-5. I A/B'd this speaker against the Mesa Celestion Black Shadow, Vintage 30, Heritage 30, and many Mojotones and the Thames won it hands down for the tone that I want. It may not work for you though. Ted would know for sure.

I was doing some searching, this SRO prefix to the number might be this SRO Speaker from EV that was discussed in another thread. I'm happy with it's tone, I just wanted to identify the speaker and confirm if it is original factory or some unknown brand replacement.Thanks again for the help and links.

My DC-5 Combo had a Black Shadow Celestion in it. It's the way I bought it new from Boogie. The did however offer a choice of the BS and a EV 12".

Back